I can’t seem to make good straps for my bag?

Hello everyone,

I crocheted a bag but somehow I‘m not pleased with any straps I make! They always are long on the first chain, but get smaller and smaller even though I don’t loose any chains? I‘m also very confused about how long I should make the straps, in the picture the strap is 7 chains long and I feel like that’s way to small. Any suggestions? I know I’m asking a lot of questions haha…

9 Likes

Hello! If you keep crocheting on your bag it will start to even out, but at the beginning it will stretch because the stitches are wider on the bag, but that’s ok! It’s natural. I would suggest making the straps long enough as you like and then with a stitch marker, connect it to the other side and see if you like the length. If they are too long, rip some rows out. If it is too short, make more rows! I hope this made sense :rofl: Ask me more questions if you didn’t understand this :slightly_smiling_face:. Have a great day!

9 Likes

Also because they stretch, you could try making a row of like sc around the bag so that it isn’t stretching part of the granny square. If you used cotton yarn like lily sugar & cream they can be really stiff sometimes and don’t stretch nearly as much as acrylic yarn. Then you could start making your strap attached to the row of single crochet. Just a suggestion though! But your bag looks awesome!

8 Likes

Thank you for your advice! It worked out fine! I just used one strap instead of two (and obv removed the one in the pictures) and it did even out :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you for your help and for your compliment! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I just did one strap without the row of sc, although now it does sound like a good idea… maybe I‘ll do it with my next bag!

7 Likes

I have the same issue, Can you please explain what do you mean by making just one strap? It look s like I won’t have enough yarn for two and I can’t find the same color​:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Hey! Sorry for taking so long to reply! If you haven’t found a solution, here‘s this one: I simply made a line of 9 sc on one side of the bag. (By side, I mean the right or left part of the bag where the granny squares connect). Then I chained one, turned my work and made double crochets all along. I repeated that until I had my desired length! I hope I could help. If not, just tell me and I‘ll try to explain better :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you so much :heart: it will actually help since I did not find a solution, I will try tomorrow and thanks again :heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes