I canuse my hands again!

I’m sure I don’t need to explain how stressful it’s been over the past just over a month with incredibly limited use of my hands. I’m disabled and rely on compression gloves to give me use of my hands, but I lost them. I’ve been doing small bits of crafting here and there but greatly limited myself as if I didn’t I wouldn’t be able to pick up a fork to feed myself.

But now I can use my hands again and I might have cried when I put them on and they fit (it’s been a nightmare trying to find ones that fit and I’ve list so much money in the process because covid means I can’t return them).

13 Likes

Yay! I’m glad these ones worked out!

6 Likes

I know the feeling very well. I had surgery in 2014 and lost use of my right right arm/hand from shoulder down. I crochet right-handed. It was Very frustrating not to be able to crochet or do much of anything.
I didn’t give up hope. It took me quite a while before I could even slightly hold a hook.
Even though my stitches were extremely screwed up I was always happy to be able to just make them.
It took me about 5 years before I could handle the hook well enough to make my stitches correctly.
My moto was to never give up no matter what. I’m glad today that I kept my determination and stubbornness.

7 Likes

I feel like getting into fibre arts after my hands started deteriorating is a slight advantage in this regard, since I didn’t have to relearn to hold the tools. I worry how my hands will be when I’m older, I turn 30 this October.

6 Likes

Whatever you do keep the muscles as strong as you can for as long as you can. The muscles in my right arm are at 1/4 of what they should be. Do therapy throughout the day. Squeeze balls are good to start with. Stretching your hand out against a table and bring your fingers in and out as they are on the table.
I also wear an arthritis glove that is snug to keep the pain down to a minimum.

But just don’t give up!! I did and it took me some time to get back to where I was after I recovered from my surgery.

6 Likes

Oh I’m so sorry honey. It had to be so disheartening.
Pleased to hear that something worked out. What did you end up getting? Maybe it will help someone else?

5 Likes

I got gloves from Neo G, they have a lot of different styles and levels of compression. They also have products for other body parts too,if you can get the right size they’re really good.

5 Likes

Really sorry for the struggles you’ve had and so happy to hear you can get this boost of happiness, calmness and that great accomplishment feeling again! :clap:

5 Likes

I’m glad you’re able to use your hands again!!! :grinning: It sucks when our body parts decide to quit working properly. I started knitting when my back betrayed me and the more sitting, walking, and standing I do the sooner I’ll end up paralyzed from the waist down plus my constant pain goes up incredibly fast the more I try to do. It’s been over 11 years since I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and I still have very limited use of my legs so I can still walk about 100 meters before my legs quit because of my back. Plus I had both my hips replaced 13 months apart so that pain is gone. I also need home care for cooking and basic cleaning because I can’t even do that. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I’m worried im going to get to the point if needing a carer again, I was bedbound in my early to mid 20s, I’m still adjusting to being able to move around. Health can be scary but creative people will always find ways around limitations.

5 Likes

I hope your health continues improving. :grinning:

Yes, we definitely will!! I’m almost finished my course and will be a Knitting Guild Association Certified Tech Editor. I never thought knitting would end up giving me a chance at a career when I didn’t think I’d ever be able to work again. Plus all the incredible people I’ve met along the way!! :grinning:

5 Likes

That’s exciting!!

5 Likes

That is awesome!!’

4 Likes