I’m practically blind 🥲

:eyeglasses: :eye: Me too! I’ve been legally blind since at least 5th grade. My sight started about - 4.50 and kept changing until my 20’s. I’m at - 5.50 now in contacts. (highly recommend Pair Eyewear online brand glasses p.s.)

I wouldn’t let it freak you out too bad. Tech is so good these days and there are lots of options. It’s never stopped me from living life and I see perfectly fine with corrective lenses. As long as your eyes are healthy (which it sounds like they are!)

p.p.s.
-negative is for near sighted and +positive is for far sighted

7 Likes

Are you in the US? I don’t think -5.50 is legally blind here!

5 Likes

Ok I googled it and it says -2.5 is legally blind but I’m not sure if it is accurate

6 Likes

Pretty sure yeah. It just means you’re not allowed to drive or operate machinery without corrective lenses basically. I use it as a #FunFact moment or two truths and a lie etc :joy:

6 Likes

Ok lol that makes sense I can’t read anything from a distance so yes I’m legally blind :flushed:

6 Likes

I suppose that means I’m legally blind as well :flushed:

5 Likes

I’m so sorry for this my love. I use very tough glasses because my eyesight is very damage, but I’m almost 40 and my eyes stabilized.

6 Likes

Also they mentioned that I would be a good candidate for LASIK eye surgery has anyone had that?!? It sounds terrifying :grimacing:

5 Likes

I have a friend that did something like that, and I believe it worked really well with her. I’m not sure if it’s the exact same thing but it sounds pretty similar! It’s a kind of laser surgery :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I think that’s what it is!

5 Likes

You are too young to have these problems. I’ve had to wear glasses since I was 7 yrs old. I tried bifocals once. Did not like them. Not easy to get use to. I now have two pair of glasses. One for seeing and one for reading. But I am over 60. You would think in the 21st century there would be more help for you. I wish you the best

6 Likes

It is unfortunately in my genetics my grandma had to get bifocals in her 20s

6 Likes

I’ve seen newer bifocal, not like my grandma’s, and it’s so nice how there’s no seam between the two prescriptions now. I’m seriously super blind, -9.5 in contacts, which is about -10.75 glasses. Like, in order to see my phone without glasses it can’t be more than 4.5 inches from my eyes (I literally measured​:laughing:) and I have super thick glasses, which I hate because it makes my normally big blue eyes, super tiny. I’ve been told I can’t do LASIK, because it won’t last for me, and I’d just have to do it again, so I have to basically get cataract-type surgery to get the same effect of LASIK for my eyes. I’ve worn glasses since third grade. I did have contacts for a while in highschool, and off and on since, but I always get so sick of having to put something in my eyes in order to see. I asked my eye Dr., “So when am I considered blind.” Her response, “Once we can no longer correct your vision.” I also have no pigment layer, so light just goes straight through into my eyes, so everything is constantly way too bright. It sucks.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry :persevere:

4 Likes

Yeah it’s ok. Such is life. I just deal with it and hope I’m not actually blind when I’m older.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Thank you​:laughing::hugs:

4 Likes