I might have broken my yarn winder 😭

So I was working on turning my entire yarn stash into cakes so I can store everything easier. I was winding a glitter eyelash yarn that somehow went under the plate and got completely tangled into the gears. I tried to just turn the handle the other way to unwind the yarn, but it wasn’t working. I ended up cutting the yarn before I finished the cake so I could take the plate off and try to untangle the mess in the gears. Nothing was working after turning the gears clockwise and counterclockwise, pulling the tangle out, even cutting the yarn out was super difficult. I ended up getting the yarn out, but now my machine is making a horrible noise and keeps stopping :sob: how do I fix my yarn winder??? I don’t want to throw it away :frowning: I still have so much yarn to cake. Do I have to unscrew the bottom? Sorry this was a longer post, but I really need some advice.

10 Likes

It sounds like the gears are off so they are making a grinding noise

8 Likes

if it’s like mine, the bottom screw does not actually come out, but there is a video for this common problem

10 Likes

My yarn winder is a non branded cheap Amazon yarn winder, so hopefully it helps anyways! Thank you!

9 Likes

Ahh that’s really annoying, I don’t know much about yarn winders but I hope you can get it fixed again

9 Likes

Mine has screws in different places, but I’ll have my dad look at it tomorrow.

7 Likes

they are all assembled the same way and have the same flaw and solution, this should work.

8 Likes

either way, you can find a similar model, there are only like 3 types of assembly and lots of youtube videos about it

8 Likes

Just here to offer my sympathies and well wishes… I have no idea how to fix, but I’m now sad for you! Hugs!

6 Likes

Encouraging Everything Will Be Ok GIF by LookHUMAN

If you need to buy another one- get the one from Stanford.

I tried Michaels for $32, Stanford is WAY better!

7 Likes

this company aslo makes the kind where the guide goes around the post instead of the post spinning (which is how the factory ones work) and that seems like it would put so much less stress on the base.
I’m saving up for an old fashioned wooden one. I know that the kind I just mentioned is supposedly superior, but the wooden ones are heavy duty and I like that all moving parts are accessible and easily maintained. Besides, the modern one would be out of place in my granny room… I already allow modern lamps and a tv :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I’d love to get one of those, maybe when I draw social security in 10 years,

3 Likes

ihope your yarn winer gets fixed​:purple_heart:

4 Likes

they are not bad on amazon if you don’t get the swift with it, still only about $100 with both

5 Likes

I think I broke mine too so I hope the suggestions work too

3 Likes

Oh no! I’m so sad for you. I hope your dad can fix it!

2 Likes