I need more yarn, and help with different sizing!

I started working on crochet a patchwork cardigan because I finally got motivation to do so. But I bought yarn for it the other day, and I spent 33 USD. But I ended up only getting two skeins for the cardigan. The other yarn I got was for dish cloths and my blanket I’m working on also. I checked my measurements and I need 96 squares! I already used half a skein and only made 8! I might have to do more math to see how many skeins of each color I need! The colors I’m using are, red heart stripes color baby rainbow, and big twist color Ivory. I am working on making this a pattern, but I don’t know how to make different sizes. Please give advice for making different sizes!

8 Likes

To help with different sizing I would start with the measurements of the squares. Then start calculating how many squares needed vertical and horizontal per row.
I’ll put a link here for sweater sizing.

3 Likes

Sorry, we were editing at the same time :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Deleted because my advice was not appreciated.

5 Likes

Haha no worries :joy::wink:

3 Likes

I’m not making a sweater, it’s going to be a cardigan, but it will be longer. Not trying to come off rude. I will check my math again. But I’m sure it’s correct, I’ll just check again.

2 Likes

I’ve made a few cardigans not in square style though and for a size large I’ve had to have at least have 1800 to 2500 yards of yarn so something to keep in mind too. I suppose too that depends on how long your making the cardigan too. So hopefully this is helpful too. I’m excited to see what you come up with cause it sounds interesting.

2 Likes

deleted, because it isn’t worth it

3 Likes

Im pretty sure I bought 6 skeins when I made the altknots cardigan. it was the grannysquare halloween pattern one, as for sizing I am a medium and the pattern was for a kinda oversized fit, not a tight fit. in her pattern she told you roundabouts what you need to do to size and fit yourself, but I cant quite remember what was said.

3 Likes

What I did is I made a square and measured it in cm. Then I took my measurements to see how many I needed. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I am working on a Patchwork Cardigan also. But instead of colors, I am doing different crochet stiches for each patchwork. I am doing red, black, white, gray & zebra. Yes it does take a lot of patchworks, but I am loving it

4 Likes

I made 8 last night. And I’ve only made 3 today, and I have all the time in the world to crochet but barely have. Then school starts again next month, I need to finish my cardigan before school or it just won’t get done. But I did the math and if I make 8 per day, it will take 12 days. Or if I make 16 per day it’ll take 6 days! I am not that great with math, but when it comes to crochet I’m good at it?

2 Likes

Get on the internet and go to Crafty Yarn Council (the url is their name in all lower case, no spaces with a dot com atvthe end. You can print out an exceptional list of standards which includes sizing information and average skeins per various projects!

Hope this helps. Oh, they got a few free patterns too. The entire website is for crocheters to learn, research, and find mist stitch & technique tutorials. It’s huge, so set aside a little extra reading time. Be sure to have your hook(s) and practice yarns on your lap, lol lol.

Your friend,
GG

2 Likes