International Fees

Do all of Ribblr purchases go through a banking institution outside the USA?
I notice that each and every ribblr purchase I make my bank adds like a 4-7cent international fee.
Surely, all these ribblr shops arenā€™t overseas?

@Ribblr

11 Likes

Shops are from all over the world, however you should be charged in your chosen currency regardless. It sounds like you were charged in a different currency (EUR/GBP/AUD/CAD).
If this was the case please change the currency - go to the homepage and scroll all the way down to the footer.

If you were charged in USD and thatā€™s your local currency then most bank wouldnā€™t charge any fees. However, each bank is different so we recommend reaching out to your bank to verify.

11 Likes

Thanks I checked the footer, it states USD. Iā€™ll call the bank then.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s the best idea. Also please check upon checkout if you see $USD or a different currency. Keep us posted - weā€™re here for you!

9 Likes

Iā€™m charged 50 cents every time I make a purchase. This has never happened on any other site Iā€™ve purchased fromā€¦ There must be something Ribblr can do from their end, I shouldnā€™t have to contact my bank every time I make a purchase.

Iā€™ve stopped purchasing off Ribblr because of this, if the designerā€™s crochet pattern isnā€™t offered anywhere else then I just donā€™t purchase from that designer. There are so many great designers out in the world with wonderful patterns that I purchase without having to worry about getting hit with a phantom charge.

4 Likes

When I discussed this with Ribblr, Ribblr is not charging me itā€™s the bank. I think itā€™s collecting VATS.
Perhaps itā€™s the same for you?

4 Likes

Weā€™re sorry you feel frustrated. payments on Ribblr goes directly to the designer so if they live abroad your bank may have charge for paying an international seller.
This is not something that is charged by us or the designer but by your bank.

Weā€™d be happy to learn more on this so we can try to assist you in the future as we grow.

4 Likes

I found out the hard way trying to purchase yarn at a fiber festival years ago that my bank on one of my credit cards would not allow me to purchase from a Canadian vendor. I had to mail her a check. It is quite challenging to determine what a given bank will charge fees on and what they will not accept entirely

4 Likes

Most larger banks are now moving toward more transparent fees and even no fees for international transactions. We highly recommend checking this on your bankā€™s website!

With that in mind, often times patterns on Ribblr are the cheapest thanks to our low (or even no) fees :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I agree, the patterns on Ribblr are less expensive in general.

5 Likes

I donā€™t know about other countries, but in the US there are so many banks. I live in a small town in a small state and I have at least 5 banks within a few minutes of my house that donā€™t exist outside of my county, much less national or international. There is no way to know what every bank out there is going to do.

3 Likes

I just donā€™t understand. Iā€™m in the USA and have purchased yarn and patterns from Great Britain, Australia, Turkey and Ukraine :ukraine: and have never been charged an International Fee except on Ribblr. What about Ribblr is triggering this with my orders? Adding 50 cents to each purchase no longer makes these patterns the least expensive choice for me. Thatā€™s why I canā€™t buy off Ribblr anymore.

1 Like

I just donā€™t understand. Iā€™m in the USA and have purchased yarn and patterns from Great Britain, Australia, Turkey and Ukraine and have never been charged an International Fee except on Ribblr. What about Ribblr is triggering this with my orders? Adding 50 cents to each purchase no longer makes these patterns the least expensive choice for me. Thatā€™s why I canā€™t buy off Ribblr anymore.

1 Like

Technically, it would be stripe and your bank, not ribblr.
Ribblr does not charge you anything, they just withhold fees, not charge them. What does the fee say? For example I have a recurring charge for a service I subscribe to. Every month I get charged $.09 ā€œinternational charge processing feeā€ this is not the service charging this, itā€™s my bank.
If itā€™s the same charge every time and the same bank every time then I would ask my bank what the fee was

4 Likes

@anon5108995 is exactly right. If you can share what it says we would love to try and help figure it out.

4 Likes