Is soft secret hobby lobby yarn good for a blanket or sweater…

It’s medium 4 and the person who I am buying the pattern from literally posted it 2 days ago…
But it’s super cute so ima do it.
Also, are plastic hooks any different from steel or metal ones?
To me they are a LOT more comfortable but idk about the effect it has on the project…

Any thoughts…?

4 Likes

I do not have any experience with the yarn, but I wanted to chime in on the hooks.
Does the material the hook is made from make a difference? Yes and no.
I don’t crochet enough to invest in anything more than the Boye aluminum set I’ve had for 40 years, but I do knit a lot and have hundreds of knitting needles in many different materials.
So, imagine you are writing a letter, on paper. A mechanical pencil, a regular #2 pencil, a ball point pen, a gel pen, a colored pencil, a felt tip pen, a magic marker…
they will all feel different in the way they drag or roll across the paper, and the shape of each will feel different in your hand, and changing the surface material you are writing on will change the effect of each tool, but your handwriting stays the same. Same with the hooks and yarn.
Each material will feel different with each yarn and different shapes will feel different in your hand. This can make slight differences in the results, but it will make significant differences in your experience while doing the work.

6 Likes

I don’t think there’s any difference from plastic to other hooks, the only thing I could think of is obviously the size of them using the required one for the yarn (it has the size on the yarn label) or going slightly smaller to make the stitches smaller or slightly bigger to male more spaces between stitches.

The obvious thing I can think of is the hook edge if it’s rounded or sharp, I believe Boye brand hooks have a tapered/rounded edge and Susan Bates has a shar hook end, with sharp I believe it gives tighter stitching, but could snag the yarn while rounded edges won’t snag the yarn so it’s really a preference but you should pay attention to the hook and see which one you prefer :blush: good luck!

3 Likes

I found that the plastic ones drag, and the bamboo has a feeling that drives me wild. I prefer aluminum the best.
Wow, if they made them out of silver that would be cool.

3 Likes

Plastic can also bend, so this may, or may not, have an affect.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m still kinda new I’m 12 and started 3 years ago so I wouldn’t know

3 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

Good to know

4 Likes