Is this worth making?

Hello good people of ribblr!
Hope you guys are doing well c:

I had recently found this very cute pattern on insta and was thinking about buying it! It’s basically a crochet scarf but very hungry caterpillar themed! Here’s the pic:

And here is the actual cartoon caterpillar for reference ^^ (its so nostalgicccc)

Now I had several questions for this because it’s my first time making a wearable!

1 - Is this worth making? Like would you actually wear it on a daily basis? I plan to wear it for the whole winter because its freezinggggg in canada, but idk if it’s actually something people would wear. It’s supposed to be goofy but idk if it looks stupid on me..

2 - Should I use acrylic or cotton yarn for this? I have acrylic yarn in these colours but maybe it would be too hot to wear? I actually don’t know :sob:

3 - Depending on whether I use acrylic or cotton, can I wash the scarf (and potentially dry it)?

I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas you guys might have! :beating_heart:

Ilgbtenha Enhypen

20 Likes

aww that’s such a cute pattern! sadly, like you, ive never made a wearable either…

i love the very hungry caterpillar, and yes, 'tis freezing in Canada :pensive_face:

glwt!

@PawPrintsCrafts

6 Likes

tysm!! <3

4 Likes
  1. this kinda depends on your personal style! if you like it, you should wear it (and i think it’s super duper cute too ^^).
  2. i’d choose acrylic yarn, as cotton isn’t going to keep you warm at all (it’s a better fiber for summer makes); plus acrylic is more lightweight :3
  3. both are machine-washable on a gentle cycle in cold/lukewarm water (you can also check the yarn labels for what they recommend). edit: to keep the shape intact while drying, gently press out excess water with a towel and lay the project flat on a dry towel or blocking board
    hope this helps! <3
6 Likes

thank you so sooo much! rlly appreciate it :growing_heart:

4 Likes

Don’t go with acrylic as it’s not a breathable material. You could go with cotton as it’s breathable and self cooling , but you may want to use a wool yarn as that will keep you nice and warm.

3 Likes

I forgot to add , if you do go with wool make Shure it’s one that can be washed or go in the dryer as some wool yarns will felt themselves in the dryer.

1 Like

omg you should totally buy it, such a cute pattern! I would definitely use cotton because I don’t like how acrylic feels when wearing it, and I think with both? but for sure cotton you can hand-wash it!

3 Likes

ooo wait that’s a great idea! tysmmmmm :beating_heart:

1 Like

ohhh yes i forgot how itchy acrylic can sometimes be.. thank youuu! <3

2 Likes

Blonde Knots on YouTube made this scarf and she loved it! I would personally use a cotton/acrylic blend to get the warmth and ease of wash. Or if you have the budget, a Superwash merino wool for the warmth.

2 Likes

Thank you so so much! I’ll consider both options and check her out her yt too ^^

1 Like

Aww, it is so nostalgic​:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. You should definitely make it​:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

i should add that steaming finished projects made with acrylic yarn makes them much softer and gives them a better drape :)

1 Like

ooo alrighty, ill keep that in mind. ty!

1 Like