Joining a new skein of yarn

I’m working on a crochet jacket, and I’ve got a few ends to weave in. I’ve also had to join a new ball of yarn. I usually do that by knotting them together using an overhand knot and then weave in the ends.

I’m curious how other crocheters join a new ball/skein of yarn: Do you knot them together? Weave them in opposite directions? I know (being a knitter myself) that knitters can’t stand knots in a piece!

4 Likes

I’m joining yarn with a magic sliding knot, I find that it doesn’t unravel at all, and you can trim the excess tails without having the knot falling apart.
You can try it out:

5 Likes

I usually just drop the old color, lay the new color alongside the tail, and just start working from it - no knots at all. When the project is complete, I weave the tails in and it’s basically invisible, and you don’t have to feel a knot or worry that a knot will come undone.

5 Likes

That looks really interesting, I’ll have to check it out!

2 Likes

I’ve never tried doing that before, that sounds easier than my usual method. I’ll try it this time around!

1 Like

Awesome!

The first “new” stitch might feel a tad loose, but you can just tug the yarn tail and it’ll tighten right up :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Once I discovered this method I couldn’t go back! I can’t even remember what I used to do before… :laughing:

2 Likes

I remember when I first learned that I’d just tie a knot. Not the most secure method! :rofl:

1 Like

I do something like that too, i can’t stand the pesky knots so I start with the new ball before i run out of yarn, if it’s the same color i work some sts using both yarns for the first loop, that way both are worked together for a while and can’t unravel

2 Likes

I either do what @RuthBraschDesign does above with the exception that if it’s possible, I immediately work over one of the ends. There are some techniques that make it possible to crochet over one tail on one row and then the remaining tail on the next row. I’ve done a little vid on YouTube for how to do this with Tunisian Entrelac.https://youtu.be/UOjog5vg-No

2 Likes

I do a mix of all the ideas suggested. Usually I do the magic knot to tie them together and work over them in the next round. But if you’re working with many colours and quick changes it’s not the best
I also do the last yarn over of a stitch in a new colour to change colors.
Sometimes for stuffies I just don’t care as long as the knot’s on the wrong side

4 Likes

Hi, I do not know how to knit. But I dislike knots in my crochet. They do hide better though in crochet.

I prefer to weave the strand around one side of the top of several stitches. It is a method I learned from My Poppet’s blog years ago.

But then I still use a needle to secure it further. I could be a little (or a lot) OCD about weaving in ends.

I have a blanket my mum made me with Bulky yarn that she crocheted over the ends, and they are popping out all over. I think it is the yarn more than the method. But it makes me sad when I look at it. I have woven in some of the ends, but I haven’t finished it yet.

1 Like

I pull the new yarn up over the last “yo and pull through” of a stitch to start it and then depending on my stitch crochet over both ends for a few stitches. Then I weave in the remainder of the ends.

3 Likes

I just learned this method on Ribblr last week. Love it!!

2 Likes

I get anxiety if I don’t knot absolutely Everything lol

1 Like

I usually do not use knots, as the hardness of the knot
is perceivable, if one rubs the material between the fingers.

1 Like