Journal pictures

Who else here would love the journal pictures to show just as you took them and not cropped in a weird way?

I started taking them in a way that they would upload half decent and they honestly still look like crap half the time. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

What I would have loved to post but cannot on here cause it will get cropped into something nonsensical

Instead I posted a yarn pic and my gauge swatch separate and meh :smiley:

14 Likes

I’ve learned to do a square or 1x1 choice on my phone. Not too close to the edges either. I used to do a landscape mode and try to get it in the middle.

8 Likes

I made portrait mode and it still went weird.

I just want to see if anyone else would love to raise their hand for a more normal format.

So we don’t have to spend more time editing especially for Ribblr format.
That’s all. :blush:

8 Likes

This especially sucks when trying to show work for testing patterns :smiling_face_with_tear: im not very tech savvy when it comes to editing photos, and it seems the quality itself suffers with the cropping sometimes.

Edit to say I guess it makes it hard when selling makes too :joy: I haven’t gotten that far yet.

8 Likes

That’s because people take photos in many different ratios. Most commonly 16:9, 9:16, 4:3, 5:4, 4:4.
That’s why we have had to choose a ratio and crop to the center of the image you upload.

It’s less noticeable for landscape photos though!

8 Likes

Yes, it’s quite limiting. Even if I take the pic so I can easily square it and try to line it up right, it often still posts awkward.

I’m ready to just leave it be for now.

7 Likes

That’s the thing, it doesn’t go in the center, it goes further up.

Even trying to take that into consideration, pics still look wacko.

I know it can’t be easy, but I also lniw that you guys might consider revamping it if enough people would be interested.

It is def be a handicap when selling makes via the journal entries.
I know you are working on that.
So, just some food for thought for the tech team :blush:

9 Likes

Can you please share a link and add the original image? I’ll make sure it’s looked at!

8 Likes

This is the journal:

And this is the pic

I went a bit higher than center, cause usually it cuts off the bottom part.
I guess this time it went for both.

I also did the first pic in there, but I guess I should have completely squared it?

I would have really liked to upload just one pic for the gauge swatch and yarn, but I don’t feel like even attempting to make that work atm :joy::two_hearts:

It’s no BIG deal, but it’s a tad frustrating when you try to take nice pics and need to remember the special needs Ribblr version.
It’s around 100F here, taking pics outside is already a big pita :joy::joy::joy:

Eta: that’s odd. The preview in here shows the original pic. Yet when you click on the journal it’s all wacko. :thinking:

7 Likes

What is the ratio Ribblr uses? Because it’s not square…

6 Likes

Hi, Avi from Tech team here.
I’ve taken the liberty to test and crop your last image into a square. (don’t worry, I kept the original you uploaded) https://ribblr.com/makes/CraftsbyNicB/sleeveless-to-say-wrap-top-knitting
In general, a square is perfect for the journal images, (it’s cropped a bit in preview, but that’s only thumbnail in low-res) but any landscape is preferred to portrait, as most preview images appears in portrait on Ribblr.
Please let me know if that’s fine.
Best,
Avi

5 Likes

Thanks.

I’ll make do and try to ho more square in landscape mode :blush::nerd_face::smiley:

5 Likes

I find the whole picture thing frustrating also as I’m no tech savvy……

6 Likes

Yes, I hate this so so much. Makes the pictures look blah

5 Likes

I tried the landscape mode and centering it for my latest headband.
It actually worked out ok for the first time.

7 Likes

Since this was brought back to the front, and in case anyone was looking for the specific information:
the ratio needed for the thumbnail is 5:4

3 Likes

that’s good to know

3 Likes

Same I would rather bypass their photo editor completely. I reformat mine to a square but sometimes they still turn out wonky.

Thank you for this!

1 Like