Knit sweater with crochet ribbing ?

Hey I was wondering has anybody done a knit sweater with crochet ribbing? I just am learning to knit and I’m interested in making a sweater but the ribbing kinda seems daunting to me and I just have a preference for how crochet ribbing looks.
Has anybody ever done a knit sweater with crochet ribbing or has seen a pattern for such ?

8 Likes

Sorry I can’t help more because I don’t knit. But, I thought I saw something like that here on Ribblr.

5 Likes

I’ve done a crochet sweater with crochet ribbing, the pattern is by @Ribblr

4 Likes

I knit but just started learning to crochet, so I won’t be much help on the ribbing. Definitely swatch and block the swatches of your knit and crochet patterns. Your gauge will be crucial to figure out how long x wide to make the ribbing to match the finished measurements of your sweater.

Are you planning on knitting the sweater top-down or bottom-up?

If you’re starting from the top-down, you’ll be adding the crocheted ribbing after you knit the body and sleeves.

If you’re starting from the bottom-up, you’ll start the body and sleeves with the crocheted ribbing, then pick up the amount of stitches for your size evenly around the ribbing, and finally knitting to the top.

I hope this helps. :blush:

5 Likes

I’ve never seen anything like that before, but it would be cool to see one! I don’t think it would be that difficult; however I believe a bottom up sweater would be your friend here since it’s easier to crochet the ribbing first and then pick up stitches for the main sweater. If you do a top down, it would be more difficult to crochet a ribbing since most crochet ribbing is worked horizontally; which means that you would have to sew the ribbing later or figure out a way to attach the ribbing to the sweater while crocheting it horizontally. I hope this makes sense!

5 Likes

That was the information I did not know!! :grinning: So, just to make sure I understand, to make the crocheted ribbing, you would have relatively few stitches for the height and a lot of rows to match the circumference?

5 Likes

Yes that’s exactly right! You explained it very well!! (Not sure why I had a hard time trying to explain it) :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I think I want to do it in panels? Do people do that in knitting ?

4 Likes

Yea I planned on doing ribbing part first

5 Likes

Thanks for the help y’all

5 Likes

You did an excellent job explaining it, because I finally understood what direction crocheted ribbing is done! :grinning:

4 Likes

Yes, you can knit sweaters in five pieces - the back, the right and left fronts, and the two sleeves. They are worked from the bottom up. :blush:

3 Likes

I’m very late to this post but Here is (hopefully I inserted the photo right) a photo of a quick test swatch of crocheted ribbing and knitted stockinet stitch. I used Caron simply soft with both a 5mm hook and 5mm needles. Hope this helps!!!:grin:

5 Likes