Knitters, What tips, tricks, or techniques do you wish you had learned earlier?

I started out with dish cloths, and then immediately went into knitting socks. I was so grateful to have an expert knitter (my mom) by my side to help me figure things out because all I wanted to learn was colourwork!

8 Likes

I waited a few years to do cables because they looked complicated, but after I tried them I wondered why I waited so long, they are fun! Lace is also fun, but learn to use a life line in case you have to frog over a mistake.

5 Likes

Cables are so fun and so pretty but in my nine years of knitting, I’ve only just figure out how to make them lean the correct way without making mistakes :sweat_smile:

My mother is obsessed with lace now! I do not have the patience but a lifeline is such a smart idea. I’ll have to suggest that one to my mom.

5 Likes

I did cables on my second ever project last week, and it went great! I just try out different tutorials I guess. Bulky yarn is easier to work with too. Strait into sock knitting now, it’s so much work :sob:

5 Likes

I had been knitting for about 20 years before I truly understood how yarn was made and the differences in qualities and fibers and how they affect the finished project.
It was around the same time that I started learning how to draft my own patterns so that my sweaters actually fit me instead of trying to just wing it from someone else’s idea

5 Likes