Learning new abbreviations.

Hi I am struggling with what a certain abbreviation means. Can anyone help please?
Its 5sc dec, x5 6sc(16) I would greatly appreciate the help?

4 Likes

I think it’s telling you to group five single crochets and a decrease. You’ll repeat that five times.(by group you’ll need 7 stitches to complete this mini step in the row)

You should have six single crochets at the end (not enough to do a full repeat) so you’ll single crochet the rest. You should have 16 stitches when you’ve finished the row.

It’s a short hand way of writing it, I haven’t seen this style but I don’t normally use patterns for many of my crochet projects.

I hope that helps!

4 Likes

5 clusters of 5 stitches decreased together plus 6 stitches would only be 11 stitches total…
Without context (photo or the section of pattern). It’s hard to say

6 Likes

So is it 5 sc in one stitch or 5 sc amd on the 5thsc dec that stitch?

3 Likes

So out of seven stitches, in my understanding, you would do 5 single crochets then stitches six and seven would be included in your decrease (I usually single crochet two together aka sc2tog.)

3 Likes

I can see it that way too, again, without context it is impossible to be sure

4 Likes

It can be tricky because Ribblr forbids sharing any pictures of pattern instructions, copy/paste of pattern instructions. anything to do with the pattern instructions.
Can share a picture of the item you want to make though.

@grannyroomcrafts

2 Likes

I think that since it says 16 it means that you should have done 5 single crochets then done 5 decreases and then done another 6 single crochets.

4 Likes

But… Wait… (5sc, dec) 5 times, 6 SC would at the very least end with 36 stitches if the dec was only c2tog, right? The only way this works is if the Dec is some special stitch or the 16 is not the stitch count
So this could be 5sc, work 5 decreases, 6sc
Ugh, crochet is not my strong suit

1 Like

The pattern will be 5sc, (dec)Ă—5, then 6sc equalling the 16 sts.
I have accidentally forgotten brackets on patterns before testers pointed out so I suspect its similar here.

3 Likes

It’s 1,2,3,4,5 sc in its own stitch ( not a cluster, not all in the same stitch) followed by a decrease ( put hook in next two stitches yarn over, and pull through 2 loops) you do this set of directions 5 times. (Started out with 35 stitches now down to 30 then complete rest of round/ row with 6 sc
Total stitch count ( 36)

I don’t know what the heck that number 16 is, unless it’s math- in which case 6 x 16 is 96.

1 Like

5sc dec, x5 6sc(16)

SC, SC, SC, SC, SC, Dec, Dec, Dec, Dec, Dec, SC, SC, SC, SC, SC, SC, = 16
All individual, the only issue is if your row before it doesn’t have 21.
(That moment your nervous it might be one of yours cause you use the same shorthand) :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I see it now, it’s FIVE sc dec! Then 6sc = 16. One had started with 26 stitches.

Some people call it a sc decrease instead of sctog…
Also, that comma after dec should have been a clue.

1 Like

Personally I use InvDc for decreases :grimacing:
Instead of full SC tog it’s 2 flo tog I get less gapping when done that way :heart:

2 Likes

I agree

1 Like

Ok so I am still confused so I just altered it my way and it still came out great. I am still very confused on the whole thing. But I greatly appreciate all the help

2 Likes

For the future the 16 total is what tells you how to do it. Your stitch count has to add up to 16. So you need 5 single crochets then 5 decreases which take 2 stitches to make but end up as one on your stitch count so you have 5+5, then 6 single crochets so it totals 16.

Any other way won’t give you the right ending total of 16.

Hope it helps :heart:

3 Likes

Yep this it’s all individual.

2 Likes