Learning to crochet with a learning disability

Hi all.i really love the look of crochet and keep on trying to give it a go.ive got a few learning disabilities which effect reading and motor skills.so obviously this isnt gunna be the easiest thing to pick up but i ain’t afraid of a challenge.its just it gets very frustrating.i can do a single chain but after that I get confused.i was wondering if anyone on here has any tips?.tia x

10 Likes

I think if you can do a chain, then you CAN CROCHET!
The next step is to learn to do a single crochet ( SC is the abbreviation for single crochet).
Look up on you tube how to do crochet a SC. I like Moogly. She’s good especially if you’re left handed.

6 Likes

I’ll deffo have a look.thanks x

5 Likes

@Drizzleofrainbow
I find it easier to do my single crochet into the back bump of the chain.
I attached a picture for you, the needle is pointing at the bump.

6 Likes

ᕼi tᕼeᖇe,
I want to two say that I think it’s great that you’re trying to crochet with a reading disability I have multiple sclerosis and I am a critical care nurse and wanted to learn how to crochet to keep my hands in proper shape to be able to continue putting in IVs And things that I need to continue to take care of my patients long-term and I think it’s great that you are trying to learn a craft that is so tedious having a disability that is so important to every day living such as reading. If there’s anytᕼiᑎg tᕼᗩt yoᑌ ᑎeeᗪ to ᗩᔕᔕiᔕt yoᑌ ᑭᒪeᗩᔕe ᖴeeᒪ ᖴᖇee to ᖇeᗩᑕᕼ oᑌt!

YOᑌ GOT TᕼIᔕ :sewing_needle::yarn:

Ѕtєphαníє Ѕ. RN

3 Likes

Hey fellow RN!

2 Likes

Hey there! I’d love to help! May I ask how you prefer learning new skills? I, personally, am very visual so I need to see things and slowly go through it a few times myself before I understand.

If you’re on tiktok I have some beginner videos for going up a row that lots of people have said really helped them when other videos confused them. My username is the same as here: KnotABadWitch, and I’m also on Instagram if you want to message privately​:black_heart:

3 Likes

Hey there!!

2 Likes

I have dyscalculia and my son is severely dyslexic and has dysgraphia. You didn’t need to know that except to know that both of us managed to learn it, it can be done.
You just need to figure out your learning style. I need a picture or a chart, written directions boggle me. My son needs a video, but it can’t be slowed down, he has to see it at normal speed with no talking. Look for mediums that mimic the same ways you learn other skills.

3 Likes