Learning to knit first project ideas

Hey I was wondering what would be some things you guys would want to learn to knit for your first project. Knitting is slower than crocheting in the beginning but it’s worth it in the end.

Something small that can be worked flat and sewn together like a small pouch or a hat. Or I can start with a hat in the round. Knitting in the round is easy since there is no back side.

What would first time knitters want their first project to be?

8 Likes

I can knit but have never knitted in the round.
So that for me would be a good starter

6 Likes

I’ve knitted for about 20 years now

I would recommend a scarf as a good first time project. Big needles and thicker yarn

Or a washcloth/facecloth/dishcloth

Something easy to get used to holding and moving the needles and yarn.

Nothing that requires shaping, you have to start with “baby steps” or else you’ll get too frustrated too quickly

7 Likes

As my first project (not swatches) I think it would always be something I’m interested in making, since if I don’t need it/want it it’s just going to be frogged or in the wip for eternity :joy: my first knit project was a squirrel amigurumi by dotpebbles I’m not done with it yet since I just need to seam everything lol I did the same with crochet I made an amigurumi

I think I would just do what interests me regardless if there’s easier options, curious what those who don’t knit think would be their first knit project :smile:

4 Likes

A scarf with chunky yarn was my first project too and I was so thrilled with how it turned out it’s what made me fall in love with knitting.

3 Likes

I think I made a bookmark with 4 mm needles and weight 4 yarn, but that was a long time ago, and I didn’t really knit much else. :woman_shrugging:t2: I guess bookmarks/washcloths would be an easy first project since they can be made pretty quickly, and don’t require much knowledge
(My knitting skills haven’t improved at all since then :smiley:)

3 Likes