Learning Tunisian crochet while crocheting

Hi!

Are there any of you who have started to learn Tunisian crochet in addition to crochet? I would like to start now, I already have the needles. I’ve always wondered what it would be like. :sparkles: :yarn:
How difficult was it? What was the first thing you crocheted using this technique? Do you have any good advice?

Thanks in advance! :heart_hands:

14 Likes

I tried but it was too hard lol

3 Likes

Tunisian crochet is basically a “two stage” US single crochet. Stage one is drawing up a loop across, which resembles a knitting cast on. For stage two You do a chain in the last loop, yarn over, then pull through two loops to finish the stitches. You repeat stages one and two until you are done

You can search YouTube if you need to actually see it being done. There are different types of Tunisian stitches, such as Tunisian simple stitch TSS, Tunisian knit stitch TKS, Tunisian purl stitch TPS. again search YouTube for these to see how they are done.

It resembles knitting in a lot of ways, if you master Tunisian crochet knitting will be easier to learn

6 Likes

I’ve only watched a video of it, but on the surface it didn’t seem too bad. That’s why I thought I’d give it a try.
I thought the same thing about crochet, but it ended up being much, much harder than I thought… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve already watched the videos and saved some of them to learn.
But I am happy that after this it will be easier to learn to knit. I wasn’t planning to start knitting anytime soon, but I definitely will at some point. :grin: :sparkles:
Thanks for your advice :heart_hands:

3 Likes

I treated myself to the needles and would like to teach myself

4 Likes

I did a baby sweater. Fun to learn. Not that hard once you get started.

6 Likes

I even think that knitters might find it easier to understand how to crochet if they try Tunisian crochet first

4 Likes

Yes I’m making two items both coats here’s
One made with the Tunisian simple stitch

And here’s one usin the Tunisian knit stitch
I thought I had one with the sleeves attached but I guess I don’t have one yet. I also have the hood finished but have to sew on.

It’s not too hard but you do need to practice to meet gauge

Morale fiber on utube does excellent tutorials on a few of the basic stitches.
Both of these coat patterns are by morale fiber

7 Likes

I found Tunisian crochet to be quite easy, although it might have been easier since I know how to knit. It’s like knitting but with a crochet hook.

4 Likes

I am! I think its fairly easier than knitting for large projects imo!

I highly recommend TL Yarn Crafts on YT for help and amazing tutorials! (I love Toni, and I bought her book on Tunisian Crochet as well)

Good luck!! :purple_heart:

4 Likes

I found learning tunisian to be very interesting, kind of like learning a new language in crochet. It might feel a bit tricky at first, but once you understand the basics it is relatively simple. The first thing I ever made using tunisian crochet were some cuffs to sew onto some coat sleeves, but the first proper project I made was a bookmark using tunisian mosaic stitches. I’m currently using tunisian to make a pixel blanket.

This website is quite good for providing tips on tunisian crochet, and they have a lot of tutorials as well:

5 Likes

Good luck to you too! :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Ohh they are very cute! Thanks the idea! :heart_hands:

3 Likes

They look very good, you are very talented :sparkles:
Tanks for the advice! :heart_hands:

4 Likes

Thanks, I will look for those tutorials :blush: :heart_hands:

4 Likes

Thank you, this site is really very good! :heart_hands:
I had no idea there were so many different types of stitches

5 Likes

Tunisian was easier than I thought it would be. I had tried knitting first, that may be why. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s cool learning new skills.

3 Likes