LGBTQ+ interests (books, movies , shows and more)

Hello!
I was wondering what everyone’s favourite lgbtq+ tv shows, or books are?
(Including characters that represent identities within these different things)
I have some favourites :
-our flag means death (lots of different queer representation like jim and some gay couples)

• they both die at the end (book)
  • I’ll give you the sun (I think this might be 13+ just so people are aware)
  • red, white and royal blue (targeted possibly 15+ warning)
  • girl heart girl
  • George (a lot of people cross the name out to Melissa because of in the book)
  • felix ever after (possibly 13+? Havent Read it in a while)

And I’m sure I could think of some more
Oh yeah the song of Achilles (13+)

Any suggestions on any others?

5 Likes

My favourite is Heartstopper (I love both the comic and the netflix show)

6 Likes

Oooo nice choice! I’ve watched the show but haven’t gone through the books

5 Likes

You should really read it when you have the time it’s soo good

6 Likes

I will! I’m sure I’ll enjoy them!

4 Likes

There’s The Owl House and She-ra series (both haver a lot of queer characters) and Rick Riordan books.

4 Likes

i love the heartstopper show and for some reason am blanking on a lot of others, but o have yet to read the heartstopper books sadly. although i love the girls of paper and fire books, im not sure if thats the series name but thats the first book and i have loved all ive read of it so far

5 Likes

oh and what i read of one last stop is also really good, i just got sidetracked and stopped reading it for a bit but i really want to pick it back up

4 Likes

Ooooo sounds good! :blush:

1 Like

I’ve watched all of owl house !(i see you with the luz profile pic) and I’ve not watched all of she ra

2 Likes

I’m sure to forget many, but here are a few that come to mind:

Absolutely adore Owl House! So fun and great rep!

One of my all time faves is a cdrama called The Untamed (2019) which is the live action adaptation of a novel that also has a donghua (animated show; mdzs for short) and audio drama - there are a lot of feels involved and not just lgbtq+ but found family, siblings, and the like. :sob: I don’t often cry watching shows, but I was a mess at the end of this one. Of all the versions, the live action was probably my fave version of the story, but they each offer something unique.

The Handmaiden film, which is a take on Fingersmith (a book and show), was also engaging - def some more adult themes there, though, so just fyi. I also thought the jdramas “Cherry Magic” and “She Loves to Cook, and She Loves to Eat” were overall just super cute.

As for books, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe was one of the first books I read and loved enough to read multiple times. Even though Ari and I are different in so many ways, I also related to him a great deal. The Song of Achilles broke my heart, but I loved every second. This Is How You Lose the Time War was gorgeous and unsual and fantastic. Most recently I read and enjoyed Last Night at the Telegraph Club by Malinda Lo and Our Wives Under The Sea by Julia Armfield.

Shotout also to these graphic novels which I thought were well done (though it has been a minute since I visited them): Taproot, Bloom, On a Sunbeam, Our Dreams at Dusk, The Prince and The Dressmaker

1 Like

Orphan Black was pretty good. I loooooved Cosima. And Felix was just amazing!

2 Likes

Wow sounds like you have found a lot of great representation!!

2 Likes

Haha! The benefits of having a younger sibling with their finger on the pulse of lgbtq+ media is that I’m exposed to more than I probably would be otherwise in my hobbit hole :rofl:

And yes; I’ve been incredibly fortunate to stumble upon some wonderful media! As have you with OFMD!!

2 Likes

My favorite book is The Many Half-Lived Lives of Sam Sylvester by Maya MacGregor which has a nonbinary protagonist. I also really like the Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire which has a lot of LGBT+ representation

1 Like