licensing warning ⚠️

GUYSS. so if you made a pattern like from a movie or show or franchise: change the name. you need to have a licence from some of these companies. you can still make a themed pattern, just don’t use the same name. if people are smart enough they’ll know where it’s from.

i don’t want some company sueing ribblr :neutral_face:
stay safe everyone!!

21 Likes

Exactly. Better yet use your own imagination and ideas, don’t flagrantly steal someone else’s intellectual property. Don’t violate copyright and trademark laws.

10 Likes

i dont see the problem, isnt the same thing going on on etsy and other major platforms?Why would it just be ribblr that gets attacked?

8 Likes

i mean it would be everywhere. i just can’t put this on etsy or other platforms :skull:

6 Likes

Changing the name isn’t actually enough, it just makes it a little harder for the company to find it

6 Likes

True. I see why @knotmichelle does that

4 Likes

yep but just incase ppl wanna make ‘inspired patterns’

5 Likes

This is where I second Anita:

Summary

Not intended to argue with you @yarnivorecrochets, I agree with what you are trying to do, but the amount of new designers in here that don’t know or don’t care about the reality need to be reminded that it is wrong, not a way to try to get around it and still be doing something wrong

5 Likes

I just paid the licensing fees its only like 14% :sweat_smile: which in the long run isn’t much.

4 Likes

i totally get what you mean :+1: better for everyone to come up with they’re own ideas.

PLEASE DONT BE MAD I REALLY WANNA RELEASE THIS POUCH PATTERN I MADE THO :sob::sob: BUT ITS INSPIRED BY SANRIO… :sob::sob:

4 Likes

where and how :sob:

3 Likes

I wouldnt consider fanart as stealing.
I dont see anything wrong with loving characters so much that you want to have a plush of it, and showing other how to make em too.

If you were like mass producing plushies and selling em, then thats a problem. But not making stuff for yourself or for commissions

4 Likes

Sanrio is protected by both copyright and trademark laws. I wouldn’t copy it in any format

If enough stolen intellectual property shows up and enough property owners complain about it, the sites that host Etsy, Ribblr, Ravelry etc could in theory be at risk of being taken down. It would take a LOT complaints for that to happen though.

Only the actual owners of the copyright or trademarks can complain (file a DCMA take down notice). Other complaints by non owners cannot be acted on.

5 Likes

I’d recommend reading this article, especially the FAQ-section at the bottom of the page–it goes quite in depth on what’s legal or not regarding fan art and what you should do if you want to sell it :slight_smile:

Among the FAQ there’s this question and answer:

Can You Sell Fan Art on a Platform Like Etsy?

It is not legal to sell fan art on any platform if you do not have permission. However, Etsy cannot be held liable for any infringement by a user. The copyright holder must make a complaint before a listing will be removed. Ultimately, Etsy does not have to do anything about infringing listings. If there are too many complaints, Etsy can remove the user from the platform.

5 Likes

This is why in my 50 plus years crocheting I will not create things that are licensed. There is no amount of money in my bank account that I want to use during any lawsuit. Just because one place is doing it doesn’t mean that it’s okay to do. I will be that Mom and say if your friends jumped off the empire State building would you jump to?

5 Likes

The easiest way is to contact the person on their Pr team in charge of licensing andas about their policies.

2 Likes

Even if you ask Sanrio, Disney, Nintendo etc don’t be surprised if they send you a cease and desist letter. They may not feel that what you are doing best represents their brand and may not approve of your use of their intellectual property

I would avoid trying to copy any copyrighted or trademarked material whatsoever

4 Likes