Machine washable Cotton yarn recommendations? :)

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has any machine washable and dryable cotton yarn recommendations (acrylic works to) for amigurumi I am looking for some with lots of color options. I am in need of browns, reds, and creams. but It is hard to find a specific shade sometimes in the same yarn weight.

8 Likes

Paintbox yarns has 101 colors I believe in cotton DK yarn.
Paintbox also comes as aran but has smaller color range.

5 Likes

I’d check Hobbii
Just make sure you buy the right weight.

Mary Maxin has a good line too, don’t exactly remember the color palette though.

6 Likes

I’ve been using Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton recently and loving it, and I think there are a good amount of colors too.

7 Likes

Thank you! :smiley: These all sound like great options I will take a look. Have any of you washed them before how well did they hold up?

5 Likes

I haven’t personally yet, but the label says it’s machine washable & dryable.

4 Likes

Cotton by Hobby Lobby washed well but color starts to fade with repeated washing.
I’m not sure about Paintbox yarn. I have some but haven’t made anything with it yet.

4 Likes

Thank you for the help! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Milk cotton yarn is washable and has many colors too

5 Likes

All cotton is machine wash and dry, but you may want to prewash your hanks to preshrink them if shrinkage would cause an issue. (think denim jeans)
All cotton fades over time, there are tricks like a salt bath to and cold water washes along with drip dry to preserve the color a little longer, but it will eventually fade… Again, like denim jeans.

5 Likes

@SlayChainSA Oh wow! really? :smiley: I have heard of many good things about milk cotton yarn and the stitches look very wonderful made with it. Have you tried washing it before? And or did you use a dryer? :thinking:

3 Likes

@anon5108995 I didn’t know that all cotton yarn is. and those are very helpful tips! I learned something new today thank you! :blush:

5 Likes

“Milk cotton” is not cotton. Milk cotton yarn may be mixed with cotton fiber, but “milk cotton” is a protein fiber like silk, and should be treated as such (not washable) unless otherwise stated on the label.

5 Likes

Also…
mercerised means that the cotton went through a polishing process that made it smooth and shiney. It can vary in degree and is the main difference between what we consider to be suitable for a sweater vs a washcloth

5 Likes

Didn’t realize Lionbrand has cotton! Need to check, thanks :smiley::heavy_heart_exclamation:

5 Likes

I’m learning so much!

4 Likes

The milk cotton I used is stated that it is washable, I didn’t know that not all milk cotton is washable. Sorry​:pray:t2:

4 Likes

Just adding for the sake of the acrylic part: you can wash most acrylics without fear, but I would never put them in the dryer. My SO put one of my bags made of acrylic yarn through the dryer as an innocent mistake and now it is terribly melted and doesn’t look nearly as good as before

4 Likes

I would recommend lily sugar and cream yarn but it’s quite stiff so not good for amigurumi

4 Likes

No worries! :hugs: May I ask what brand of milk cotton or were you bought your yarn from? :smiley:

3 Likes