Market prep (more than crochet)

Hello! As you can tell by the title I am doing a market. I already know what I am going to crochet but I have a few questions:

1. What do I need to bring? I know if they don’t provide a chair, table, and tent, but what else?

2. What else can I sell? I am going to sell amigurumi and want to sell other things but what should it be? I can make bracelets (beads and loom) and other things.

3. What is needed for a market? Should I make tags? (already designed) Business cards? (also designed)

4. How do I draw customers to my stall? Should I make a banner or what?

Thank you in advance

23 Likes

1 maybe some boxes for your materiels
2 beads are a good idea i guess
3 eah business cards are a good idea
4 a banner, poster maybe a billboard but painted or something

6 Likes

Business cards and banners help, but to draw people in, I would recommend making some big stuff if you can, and I like to watch market videos for display ideas. Last night I bought some cube shelves for my table, I’m so excited to get them! Anyways, you also want to back smart, and bring scissors, tape, twine, and markers, oh and you’ll want to keep a list of everything you sold

8 Likes

I like to make sure i have some of everything for product. And, for large craft fairs, backup product that i dont need to put out. I also personally sell earrings and fidget toys pretty well at my craft fairs for non amigurumi stuff. Hats are good to ive been told. I like the idea of a big ticket item. One that looks cool, but is maybe a little expensive so you dont expect it to sell, but it looks awsome and if it does that awsome too!

Then, i like, table covers, shelves or bins of some sort. Cash boxes and change are a must. Make sure to bring a chair, something to do like crochet to keep you occupied but not, on your phone because that doesnt look good.

I would also think tags. They are good, and you dont have to remember them all and hesitate or answer those awkward questions on your prices being “too high”. If its there they cant argue with it and you dont have to say it. Business cards are great in my opinion. I like that people can look at them and take them to look at. Its come on handy for me lots of times. Then, a banner or sign is fun and gets people attention. (I think that everything, lol.)

6 Likes

:sparkling_heart:Business cards and/or a sign with your social media/online shop name is a must
:sparkling_heart:Price tags and signs with prices are super helpful because sometimes people won’t ask for prices because they are shy/anxious/think it will be too expensive
:sparkling_heart:Money to make change! (Some $1, $5, $10 bills)
:sparkling_heart:Get a card reader if you can! Square offers free ones :slight_smile:
:sparkling_heart:A lot of people like paying with Venmo & Cash App so if you can get those apps and have a QR code printed out, that’s good too

Being able to take lots of different kind of payments is honestly one of my biggest tips for markets. I’ve missed out on sales because I couldn’t make change or take a certain kind of payment​:disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes

I go to farmers markets almost every Saturday during the summer.

1. You’ll need a table cloth and thing to put your plushies on
  2. You’ll definitely need price tags because when I didn’t I saw people would be uncomfortable asking but you can make you own. I also noticed people do like the business cards because they’re always asking for them
  3. We also got a sign to put up in front of our stall to get peoples attention, but just you products will get there attention

You have to know you audience and make what they want to see. You might have you under price a little bit yourself if you want to make a profit it might not be that way for you, I go to a small market and that’s what I have to do.

Good luck on you market I hope it goes well for you!! :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

A “showstopper”, even if it won’t sell because it’s priced higher than your crowd might pay, is an attention getter. Which will attract buyers for your other wares. Be sure to display it higher up, like on a nicely covered box that lifts it up over your tabletop.
If you are selling hats, put them on head forms, wig stands or balloons; make them 3D to show them off.
If you sell garlands, put up two poles and string them up to show them off.
Find some battery lights and get them flashing or twinkling - catch the eye!
Business cards? YES!
(Maybe) A raffle for an item, make them sign up for an email list to enter the contest (check your local laws!)
Give people a variety, but listen to them to see what you may want to offer at the next market. If you get signups for the email list, be sure to let them know when and where you will be selling again, what new items you will have and keep asking them what they want to see. (Remember they may not ever buy what they ask for; they will ask for football logo stuff and you will likely get stuck with football logo stuff, so don’t make requests unless somebody pays for them).

5 Likes