Market Process!

Hello! I know we’ve all seen the posts asking about market patterns, but today i have a bit of a different market related question.
I start markets in may, and im wondering how it goes. How you prep, how much to prep, how to plan your stall effectively, how to draw people in, how you keep busy or not while at the stand, etc :3
From start to finish, what do your market days and the days before look like?

22 Likes

I would bring some spare wool so you can make more things. TBH i dont really know what else i geuss just make sure your stall has differnet levels so not everything is just sitting on the table normally.

5 Likes

dollar tree and facebook market place are my live savers!

just look for cute small shelfing or little baskets you can use to add height to your table!

Make sure you have a table (4ft is a minimum but most people use 6ft tables)/ make sure the place youre dong the market provides tables if you dont have your own!

Bring a chair/ make sure your event gives you a chair!

CASHHHH, be sure to bring some ones, fives and tens for the people who want to buy things in cash from you!

Make sure youre taking taxes as you dont want to get in trouble for not paying taxes later!!

Bring snacks and drinks and a buddy!
Everyone needs to use the restroom at some point make sure you have a friend or family member with you kow can run your table for a few minutes when you step away!

If your event is out doors make sure to get a pop up tent to shade you and your shoppers!

I always display at least one or two Big Items to draw peoples attention and i have a big display that grabs attention to

For me i usually have my XL Cow and right now i have a XL bunny, theyre worth about 100$ each but people falll in love with them and then want to buy something else, and since most of my other items are 40$ or less i get lots of sales (i usually have at least half of my items 12$ or less, my 8 and 5 $ items sell the best for sure!)

I also do a display with some small plastic crates i got from the dollar tree. I set them up in a pyramid shape and i fill then with just my opossum pattern. People are OBSESSED with my opossums so people get excited and run over when they see so many of them!

Another little note is try to bring something to keep yourself busy and DONT stare at the people shopping, i usually say hi and then just let them do their browsing, if i see them interested in something thats a bit more expensive like my larger turtles but i can telll their unsure, ill point out my mini turtles that i have for sale and then usually they will buy the mini version but besides that i try not to bother my customers a whole lot.

If someone wants to talk to you when theyre shopping they will typically start the small talk about whatever youre selling!

13 Likes

When I’m prepping for markets I like to make big groups of things at a time. So like 12 axolotls at once and working on them piece by piece.
I try to prep double the amount of money I would like to make. I usually make about $2k in inventory and end up making around $800-900.
Make a mock setup before your market bc it makes it sooo much easier later
Try to make your set up interactive or fun to look at and not too crowded
I keep busy at markets by crocheting lol usually a blanket or a hat

6 Likes

For prep, typically the week before my event ill make sure i have everything priced, all my goodies packed up and my tables and extras set aside and packed.

Night before i double check and make sure i have everything ready and load up my car! I leave early so that i have time to grab coffee and breakfast, and then i give myself about a hour of set up time before the event starts!

Also another thing to note is its good to have a way to take credit cards. Square offers a free card swipe reader (they take a like 2.5% fee off every transaction so be sure to build that into your pricing ) Most phones can connect to the reader as it just uses a headphone jack but i actually use my laptop and make it a little like cash register ( I have one of those fancy chromebook laptops that you can flip around and make a tablet tho)

7 Likes

Woah this is really useful im bookmarking this

4 Likes

thank you!

4 Likes