Measurement question

Hey guys? I wanna ask how many inches will 40 rows will make in 165 chains, like 40 rows by 165 chains. I tried to look up the calculator, and use the knitting gauge but sadly both werent helpful. I need help

4 Likes

The best way to go about it is to make a swatch. The way I’ve done it is have a measuring tape out while I crochet a chain to an inch then build up my rows until I reach that inch mark as well.
Make sure you use the same yarn and hook you are going to use for your project.
Hope this makes sense. You can also find videos on youtube on how to make a swtach.

6 Likes

Ok

1 Like

I agree with the swatch. But I would go 4 inches.

2 Likes

Ok, ill do it

1 Like

After that if you need more help, let us know.

1 Like

Ok ill lyk

Hey, I was just wondering if you already had some done on your blanket? You could just measure 4 inches of that instead of doing a swatch.

I’m going to mimic the guage swatch suggestion, but add a little more to it
Make a chain Approx 6" long, then work in the stitch pattern you plan to use for approx 6". Measure 4"x4" inside (do not use starting chain/ 1st row, last row or edge stitches). Count the number of stitches and rows inside the square. Then divide those numbers by 4 to get your sts per inch and rows per inch. Then you can divide your total stitch and row counts by those numbers to get your final dimensions

Here’s an example
Swatch: in sc 20sts x 20 rows
Measure 4x4" and you get 14 sts x 16 rows
That means every 1" will have 3.5 sts wide and 4 sts high; so a piece 165 sts x 40 rows would be just over 47" wide and 10" high

Like Marilyn said, if you’ve already started, you can measure inside your start, but you want to make sure you don’t use the first or last rows or stitches

1 Like

I am currently on 6 rows, will that count?? Cause its 165 stitches and im trying to measure it

1 Like

This should help.

1 Like

Thanks ill check it out

It worked

2 Likes

Yay. I bookmarked this so I can check my blanket later. :tada:

1 Like

awesome