Need help to find a pattern

Hi! New here!
I fell in love with a sweater I saw online, but the pattern is only for knitting and I donā€™t know how to knit (yet :sunglasses:), Iā€™m into crocheting tho.
Iā€™m looking for a similar pattern for crochet but I canā€™t find it anywhere, have you ever saw something similar? Or do you know if there is a way to ā€œconvertā€ knitting pattern into crochet? Thank you :face_holding_back_tears:

12 Likes

It isnā€™t ā€œimpossibleā€ to convert this into crochet, but it wonā€™t have the same characteristics as the knit.
I do have a pattern similar to this, but converting it to crochet is a tall order and would require a lot of testing.

5 Likes

So itā€™s better to me not to buy this pattern and searching something else I guess :face_exhaling:

4 Likes

Unless you have a lot of experience with garment construction and can decipher the knit pattern, I would look for something else.
I will give you a head start. Those are gigot sleeves, not balloon or leg of mutton and that would be a raised collar, not funnel or mock turtle. Using the proper terms for your search and the designer using the proper terms will give you a better chance of a quality pattern

5 Likes

Yea I know the terms, Iā€™m a history fashion lover and I sew my own Edwardian garments! :smile: but I canā€™t find a pattern like this one for crochet anywhere :sob: I guess I just have to start knitting :joy:

4 Likes

Cool! Iā€™m not used to running into people that can do a proper search anymore.
And yes, I would suggest you learn to knit if you plan to also extend your historic wardrobe to sweaters. I do quite a bit of crochet translations of my knit patterns. While you can make crochet items, they will never replace the knit ones.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s how I forced myself to push past my anxieties about learning to knit years ago. I kept seeing all these lovely knitted items I wanted to have.

I would choose a much smaller project to learn on. Once you become more confident and familiar with handling needles and tensioning yarn you can take on more complex knitting projects such as this one

5 Likes

Yes, starting from the bottom is the best for learning :relaxed:

(But knowing myself Iā€™m afraid my learning process will go from 0 to ā€œIā€™m doing something big even if I didnā€™t learn enoughā€ in two days :woman_facepalming:t3: help :woman_facepalming:t3:)

3 Likes

I learned years ago before the internet from books. At least you can search YouTube for nearly every technique you need :heart:

3 Likes

I knitted a scarf like 15 years ago, but after that I never did anything so I forgot everything I knew :sob:

4 Likes

I also could cast on and knit but put it on hold for some years. I finally understood purling when I stood behind a knitter and watched them purl. Then I got it.

3 Likes

this really is not a complicated pattern at all. I could have a copy of it written out in a couple of hoursā€¦in bigger yarn even.
You will need to have the dexterity to hold tiny needles because this is done on sock weight yarn at the most. Other than that, this is only knit and purl ribbing and simple increases and decreases. TBH, I still find working with chunky yarn more difficult than thin yarn. Itā€™s cumbersome.

3 Likes

Ok guys, you are making me want to go to the yarn store to buy knitting needles :sob:

5 Likes

Knitting was the first thing tried but couldnā€™t get the hang of it. Everytime I see knitted clothing like this Iā€™m temptedā€¦

3 Likes

If youā€™ve knitted before, I think you would still have some muscle memory left.

1 Like

I hope so, itā€™s been the same with crochet!

2 Likes