Need Help with best yarn to use

I made some crochet slippers for family for Christmas which were greatly loved. The design is awesome and they were very comfortable. One could wear them multiple times and not worry about “stink”.
I used wool ease chunky as pattern called for but wherever the leather is not (i painfully sewed on leather soles) the slipper is falling apart. Not from defect but just a wearing away of the yarn. Even the ones I made for myself is showing some of this.
Now wool ease is like $9 a skein- not cheap.
If I use a 100% wool chunky yarn would that solve the problem?

7 Likes

I googled it and it said that olefin yarn was best, but I don’t think you can get it chunky so you would need more of it. I also don’t know how much it costs.

5 Likes

Yea Phentex it’s called or T shirt Yarn is another one.
Golly, all that work just to have it fall apart. Ugh!

3 Likes

wool is a natural fiber and wears out faster. an all synthetic would be better for longer wear, tho everything wears out eventually, sigh. the wool ease has real wool in it. I don’t think the softer synthetic yarn would fair much better.

5 Likes

I made my mom a pair of Phentex slippers. Her mom used to make them for all her kids and grandkids. I always had a pair when I was growing up. :blush: They last almost forever!!

Make sure you work slippers at a tighter gauge so there is less “wiggle room” for the fibres to rub against each other, which wears them out faster. That will help somewhat. Fibre does make a difference.

5 Likes

@Lakeviewknitter @LDSVenus
Yes, I’m looking at Phentex now.
These were the slipper design and it was a big hit!

6 Likes

Those look comfy and warm. I love the ankle tab you added! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

those are very cool looking they look very warm to wear!

5 Likes