Need help with fluffy yarn

Hi!!!
I have a question: how to work with fluffy/chunky yarn?
I tried but I just can’t figure out where the stitches are.

9 Likes

Heres a tip that will help you get started
STITCH MARKERS! They are your friends!
Place 1 in every stitch until you get used to the yarn
Another tip is to actually FEEL the stitch as you crochet (like place your finger until you feel the little stitch hole)
Good luckS

10 Likes

Thanks!

7 Likes

Yes this. I was going to say, you feel for the stitches. And try to make sure you know what your end stitch count should be and count while you go.

9 Likes

Seconding the fantastic advice from above! I also recommend starting with lighter colored yarn, if possible, as the stitches are a little easier to see that way. Best of luck to you! :revolving_hearts:

Edit: I’ve also seen people use worsted weight yarn along with fluffy yarn to help them feel/see the stitches until they get a better feel for it.

7 Likes

I had to start as others said above feel for the stitches especially with bernat blanket. Very easy to miss stitches

7 Likes

Bernat blanket I have to feel for stitches, put stitch markers every so often, and get somewhere where no one can interrupt me.
Fluffy yarn like eyelash, or just fluff fluff, I run another yarn with it, and when down with row/ round just like I want it, I pull that dummy yarn out. Then use it again on next row/round. Easier to feel for stitches with dummy yarn.

8 Likes

Another tip is to tug on the stitches. And I tried not crochet too tight so it would be easier to pull and see the stitches. Or you could try to put your hook through and see where the sts go :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I only struggle with faux fur yarn but i have to feel and count every single stitch.
Others I’ve seen have used a stitch marked in every stitch but that would just annoy me.
When I first started using I double stranded with a matching colour standard yarn. It made it a lot easier.
Northern_town_girl_crochets has a special technique she uses for primates where you work over the yarn. Its worth checking her page to see if you think it’d help, if you use faux fur yarn.

8 Likes

Everyone has offered really good advice! Something that helps me personally is crocheting in or near good lighting to see the stitches better better :relaxed:

7 Likes

I will only work with it if I hold another thinner yarn with it :woman_shrugging:t3:
I can feel the sts, but don’t like only doing that

5 Likes