Need some advice/idea about making something

Hii so I just finished crocheting this bag, but I was thinking about making a kinda inside lining of fabric? I’m not sure how to call it, but that way it would be kinda protected on the inside. However I really got no clue how to do that, I only have a tiny bit of experience with sewing (I’m a lot better at sewing small things by hand than by machine, but have done a few projects with both)

So I’m kinda wondering if anyone who’s good at sewing has some advice on how to do this/where to start. Or maybe someone has a different idea that might work, I’d love to hear suggestions as well

This is the bag:

Thanks to everyone who took the effort/time to read this :heart:

9 Likes

I honestly don’t know but I will ask my grandma she does a lot of sewing and I mean slot I have a quilt that took almost 10 years to make so ill ask her

5 Likes

I’m sooo sorry I don’t really know how to do this but my mom has a bag that’s crocheted and has a fabric lining

4 Likes

Oohh thanks a lot, also 10 years is a longggg time woww

3 Likes

It’s okay, it’s already nice to know there are bags like that :blush: then it might be possible to make myself, rather than a crazy idea

4 Likes

There’s quite a few guides on how to add lining from some blogs I’ve followed. Here’s one that shows lining and adding a zipper as well:

7 Likes

Thank you, I’ll check it out tomorrow :heart:

4 Likes

Your bag is beautiful!! The easiest way would be to use your bag as an outline to cut the fabric, cut two pieces of the same size (make sure to include a few centimeters when cutting the fabric), then sew the two pieces together (right sides in) around the edge, not sewing the top. Then you would just have to insert the lining in the bag and hand sew the top edge of the lining to the top edge of the bag. To give it a nicer look, fold the top of the lining about 1 cm (so the folded part is in between the bag and the lining, if that makes sense) and sew the folded top to the top of the bag. It doesn’t matter if you handsew or use a machine for sewing the lining together, but you’ll definitely need to hand sew the lining to the bag. If your bag has a circular bottom, in addition to the two pieces, also cut a circle slightly bigger than the one on the bag and sew the sides of the two pieces together, and then the bottom of the pieces to the circle bottom.

7 Likes

Sorry was too sleepy to respond earlier, but thank you so much :heart: that seems like a really nice idea on how to make the lining, the only thing I’m still unsure about is the triangle shapes at the top, but I think I’ll be able to figure it out when I make it :blush:

but I don’t have time to work on it soon, so I’ll make it later (like at least a few weeks from now) then I’ll send the result here if it works :grin:

5 Likes

Hi, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here - I’ve been wondering about this for a while too! Is there a way to attach the entire lining to the bag or is it enough to just do the top? I thought linings were typically connected throughout but I don’t have experience seeing this kind of thing so I don’t know

4 Likes

It would be enough to sew just the top, as you can imagine though, you will also be able to grab the bottom of the lining from inside the bag and pull it out (it would still be attached to the top though). This isn’t a big deal since it will stay in the bag well and won’t come up from the bag on its own. However, I have done linings where I sewed very tiny small stitches at the base of the bag where no one can see them (preferably the seam where you sewed the fabric together), just make sure that you can’t see the thread from outside the bag. That way, the top and bottom are sewed to the bag. I hope this helps!

4 Likes

That makes sense! Thank you so much!

3 Likes