New to Site, Suggestions?

Hi welcome to Ribblr and congrats on your first post! I hope you enjoy it here, by now you probably already have an idea but just in case I thought to add my own two cents as well (That is a very cute Jake!) Also consider looking through the help center (feel free to click it here as it automatically links to it :smile:) or searching through the community with keywords if you ever want/need immediate answers

What in your opinion makes a ā€œpaidā€ crochet pattern worth it?

For me personally itā€™s a pattern thatā€™s understandable, readable, complex may or may not have photos and is very clear in the intro what is and isnā€™t allowed with the pattern and makes from it and preferably has been tested so I know itā€™s actually a good pattern and not something I wonā€™t be able to make

Would I have benefit on this website on publishing free patterns?

It depends on what you consider benefits, itā€™s a good way for users to get to understand how you write patterns. I often look through a designers shop to see if they have a free pattern before I purchase a pattern to see if Iā€™ll be able to understand how they write it up.

It also helps with your self-promo as it gives you more of a chance to post in the community and spread your shop and itā€™s patterns, free patterns could generate more people looking into your shop for more and see a paid pattern they never saw before and getting that as well

I also believe Ribblr added a new thing about ads in free patterns I canā€™t recall if the designers got some of that money as well, it was during a month drop if I find it I can link it back here in this comment

Edit: hereā€™s the link to it

How do ā€œfollower onlyā€ pattern work?

Shops have this option for users to follow, what it basically means is you can only get the pattern if you follow the shop, however itā€™s worth noting itā€™s easy to just follow, get the pattern and unfollow so follower only patterns may or may not be a good way to get followers

Having followers gives you the option to do a giveaway right here on Ribblr for those following your shop with no extra steps needed!

Itā€™s important to note that followers donā€™t really boost your chance of anything (like getting noticed like one would in Instagram/etc as thereā€™s no algorithms here) people follow just to get notified that a new pattern was released and to see your little story on the home page (stories were also apart of a Ribblr month drop itā€™s just free promotion by Ribblr no need to sign up or anything as itā€™s automatic and just shows the thumbnail photos of your patterns)

How do I pick testers on this site?

Iā€™m not sure if you meant how to choose or how to actually assign testers so Iā€™ll do both

To get testers post a tester call with the Ribblr link either in the photo or separate and have some general information like the due date, if a specific yarn/yarn color/yarn type is needed or if other materials are required and any other requirements you may have like good communication/etc, I also see if the pattern will be gifted upon completion of testing the pattern from other tester calls. This is all done in your shop manager I believe both the posting and accepting testers, make sure to read the tester guidelines for better understanding. Ribblr has three steps to follow which are very good ones!

If you want journals make sure to note that any suggestions/mistakes/etc be notified through the tester group message and not the journal as journals are public to everyone once the pattern is published and if they see so many mistakes theyā€™ll assume itā€™s still in the pattern and not get it

As for how to choose them, Ribblr added a mechanic called Karma. Karma is only visible to users and designers when looking through who applies. Karma is awarded to users who tested and completed the pattern. 1 karma = 1 completed test. This could help you decide as this means that user has done and completed tests and wonā€™t ghost you (which does unfortunately happen sometimes) keep in mind that new users and those that donā€™t test often will have 0/low karma so itā€™s up to you if you want accept them. Karma is only awarded by Designers when they click the gift and remove option for that tester during the testing phase

Other designers may ignore that function and focus on a userā€™s My Makes (found when you click on a user and on their profile) or if theyā€™re active in the community, etc itā€™s up to you and what you feel like doing, also to note I know designers do keep track personally on who ghosts/doesnā€™t communicate/etc as to not pick them again along with keeping note of good testers so thatā€™s also something you can do later on to pick testers

Do you find better luck finding testers on this site vs Instagram or other social media?

I donā€™t have any other social media but this but I imagine it might be hard as the algorithm probably wonā€™t show your tester call to a lot of people, here thereā€™s no algorithms. You just post and it pops to the top if someone comments on it along with being in the new section for those that havenā€™t seen it, it will be seen for sure

I hope I offered some good info, good luck and donā€™t hesitate to ask anything else or if you didnā€™t understand something I wrote so I can clarify it better! :smile:

7 Likes