Old Crochet hooks/knitting Needles

I was going through my old and new crochet hooks today and old knitting needles making a list and some are younger than me. I’ve got my 1st crochet book i learnt to crochet (its over 50 years old. We as the older generation (i’m 56 this September 5th). We need to teach wat we know to others. Who will learn from me??? ( i tried showing my granddaughter but not interested.) ???

10 Likes

That’s sad about your grand daughter not interested. Maybe you could put out a call for people who want Tok earn as a public service announcement.

7 Likes

I started my own crafter group in town on FB.
I invited everyone local I know and hope the word spreads.
Did the same for gardening a few years back.
We now finally have a coffee shop where we can meet and I hope to establish a little crochet/knit group and maybe start teaching

9 Likes

Maybe you could see if there are some neighbors interested in learning? Like I know around me there are also lots of kids in the neighborhood who might be interested (though haven’t asked)

8 Likes

My girls, well my daughter Was only born with a right hand and missing left hand but all the merves etc she perfect andca mum and a Amazing one at that beyond that’s she lets me knit and crochet never been interesting in crafts and my Granddaughter whos only 7 is a whiz at lego and the knitting and crocheting jean is on my mums side except my mum never knit, my Grandma knitted but never crocheted and never taught me as she never used patterns plus Gran couldn’t read and write. I had a Aunty Eilse who was born with crochet hook in her mouth ( a matter of speaking), sorry for blabbering. I learnt from a book that my gran had ( i could put photos up maybe ) i learnt a granny square BUT i changed it for myself as i didnt like where you could see the beginning and end of a round and i was 6 years old and and nearly 50 years on this 5th September (56 ill be) i have the same book.

9 Likes

I’ll be 61 on the 4th of September. My kids didn’t want to learn either, until she was 35 ish, one of many. So happy she started. Her littles know a little, thought I would get them doing hacky sacks this month. Something other than a chain bracelet that would be fun. We’ll see.

9 Likes

I started a knitting and crochet group back in 2011 before the Christchurch Earthquakes where i lived at The YWCA it was fun every Tuesday and Thursday

7 Likes

I think I’m the lone stitcher in our family. Mom was a seamstress extraordinaire and taught me, but it was a short lived interest. I didn’t start knitting/crocheting until I was 48. I’ll be 59 next month.
I have a special needs niece who showed some interest and I believe she would do well, I just don’t get to visit with her often.

4 Likes

Im 15 years old and i love to crochet and knit! I go to farmers markets and sell all of my stuff and soon am opening an etsy! I have also been teaching my friends how to crochet and a few of them are pretty interested! I’m also getting ready to start sending things to silver dollar city to sell! So exciting!!

8 Likes

I totally agree with you you Helga. I’m just a tad bit older. There seems to be a good opportunity here to teach willing participants about Crochet, and perhaps broaden their horizons. I wonder how many of the youngins here on this site had someone to teach them, but they like your grand daughter was not interested then, but are now.? For a long time crochet was considered “by some” is something their grandmothers did and wanted no part. I was NOT one of that mindset. I think there is an opportunity, to show them the other side, there is alot to learn. The joy is in the making.

8 Likes

It is very exciting. Good for you, and how wonderful you are sharing the craft. I hope your ETSY shop does very well.

8 Likes

i passed down a tradition that has gone on for 5 or more generations. hopfully, if i have children, i will teach them to crochet so they can pass it on.

8 Likes

If you open an Etsy, get a referral from someone, you’ll both get 40 free listings :two_hearts::+1:t2::two_hearts:

7 Likes

Thank you !!

6 Likes

I got my crafty desire from my moms side. My moms a painter, sewer and sketch artist. My grandma was my reason for starting to knit and crochet. Sadly she passed 26 years ago so I taught myself twice actually because life got in the way the first time. I completely innerstand the passing it on. I inherited a learn to crochet and knit book that’s older then me and when I found it in an antique sewing machine my aunt gifted me I was ecstatic. My grandma would literally be In awe at what people create now. If I had her around still I’d love to learn from her.
Truly I would love it if someone would share the old vintage stuff I was born in the early 70’s so this kinda stuff I treasure.

7 Likes

Oo my just wat im thinking like im 56years old soon but (This is personal but it saved my life), if i hadn’t have lost all those kgs maybe i wouldn’t have been here to learn new crochet and knitting tools, and much more. I believe we have many chances and wow We are all blessed to have the gifts of Crochet and knitting and sewing as im also A professional machinist but haven’t for years handsew is my sewing these days lol :wink:

6 Likes

An attitude of gratitude!

4 Likes

Where do i find the Gif like your gratitude

3 Likes

From the tenor keyboard. Do you have an iPhone?

3 Likes

I was at Pak n save today and saw a lady wearing a crochet headband. All i said was did you crochet your headband she said yes and asked her how long for and like me all her life, next minute i showed her Ribblr exchanged mobile numbers yay. That was easy and maybe a new friend

6 Likes