opinions on ✨️le ai✨️ in crochet

hi everyone! so, i was wondering, what is your opinion about ai in the crochet world? basically, what of the below is okay and why/why not (:

1. using ai to generate an idea for a pattern
  2. using ai to generate a pattern for personal use (not sharing it)
  3. sharing the finished product online but making sure you say the pattern is ai-generated
  4. sharing the finished project online and calling the pattern your own
  5. allowing people to access the pattern (for free) with your creation as the photo, telling people it is ai
  6. allowing people to access the pattern (for free) with a completely different creation as the photo, telling people it is ai
  7. allowing people to access the pattern (for free) with an ai-generated photo, telling people it is ai
  8. #5 but saying it is your own pattern
  9. #6 but saying it is your own pattern
  10. #7 but saying it is your own pattern
  11. #5 but saying it is your own pattern and selling it
  12. #6 but saying it is your own pattern and selling it
  13. #7 but saying it is your own pattern and selling it

i myself would only do 1-3, but lmk what you think! (: (please be civil T-T)

14 Likes

i think 1 and 3 and maybe 6 too

5 Likes

I personally would steer clear of AI generated patterns. But if you’re going to do it then be totally and clearly upfront about it.
From the experiments that I have seen online AI isn’t quite intelligent enough for crochet patterns yet.
As for AI generated pictures that are meant to depict crochet and be passed off as crochet this really gets me on my high horse. There are too many scam pages claiming the images are crochet when they clearly are not. AI images cannot show the crochet stitches correctly. So using an AI generated image as the pattern image is deceptive.
Saying that, I do use AI backgrounds like the ones on PhotoRoom. I take photos of my actual crochet items and then remove the existing background and put something else in. Usually just a plain colour that goes with my company branding, but more recently I have been experimenting with other background styles within the app. Similar to this one.

6 Likes

Only one.

5 Likes

I don’t think I would use AI patterns at all AI is supposed to not be good.

4 Likes

1-3 seems fine, as its your own choice. 4 and up is all not okay.

2 Likes

AI good for just making your own stuff at home, that is if the patterns actually work but in my experiance they do not… :confused: but i dont think that you should share a pattern from AI and espesially not as your own.

2 Likes