Opinions wanted on amigurumi eyes

I’m after some opinions on amigurumi eyes and would love to know everyone’s preferences.

I currently make them with eye whites and then either safety eyes or crocheted pupils depending on whether it’s for a small child.

My question is - would it look better without the eye whites and be a more appealing pattern to make? I’m self doubting and don’t want to make a load more if the style doesn’t appeal to anyone else.

12 Likes

Well you know my preference for doll types like this one. 6 sc in mr in black, inc to 12 in white and then make a long stitch in one of these increases making that long stitch the white fleck in the pupil. But i do like your style too im just not a huge fan of stitching small things on top of one another. If my hand was forced i would opt for the safety eye on the white bottom version :slight_smile:

(A booty gingerbread man beat you to it in my test queue but i am working on him and getting right on your pirate after that :slight_smile: He will perhaps become a darker skinned pirate as i have some tan yarn that would be cool for that but we will see… Thank you for picking me again)

7 Likes

One of my pirates was darker skinned and I loved how it came out.

I agree with the stitching together - I am thinking that might put some people off and thinking maybe I should just go for safety eyes without the whites in future.

4 Likes

I think they give your characters a distinctive look and style!! that’s cool :blush:

4 Likes

Thank you :smiling_face:

1 Like

I like the white in the back. I don’t do safety eyes, ever, so that’s out for me. (not safe for young and who knows when a youngun will get it.)

3 Likes

That’s why I supply options for crochet eyes in all my patterns. Thanks for the feedback. I just noticed that not many patterns out there have more than safety eyes and maybe a little embroidery for the eyes.

3 Likes

I crochet my own even if safety eyes are the only option. I like your pattern. Good luck.

2 Likes

I think if you make them with eye whites, the entire eye including the whites should maybe be a little bit smaller. I personally haven’t made anything in that style before though so I wouldn’t be too reliant on any advice I give.

3 Likes

Thank you for your opinion. It would be tricky to my them smaller, as they are already quite fiddly but maybe it would make them look a bit better. I might give it a try :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It might work with a smaller hook size? I know I made a belly for a stuffy once but it turned out way too big somehow so I went down one size and it looked better. The yarn was still the same though.

2 Likes

I have enjoyed making them with the big white eye! And it is part of the eggy style, so I think you should stick with it.

2 Likes

That might be worth giving a try, and then using smaller safety eyes or smaller crocheted pupils.

That’s what my son says. He was not happy when I said I was reconsidering the eyes and he refused to redesign them for me :joy:

1 Like

I think it looks great

1 Like

thank you

i actually like it
it makes your characters nice looking and stylish

1 Like

Adorable! A little creepy, but adorable! I still love the little leperchon though!!!

1 Like

thank you

1 Like

:rofl: thank you!

1 Like