Option to save a template?

Hi!
First I want to thank you all at Ribblr for all your hard work on making the testing experience and the pattern writing experience as good as it can be!

Iā€™ve been thinking about something Iā€™d really appreciate as a pattern designer. I guess you could call me lazy, but I do think it would help a lot of people.

Iā€™d love to be able to create and save pattern templates (or even just one). I know we can copy patterns completely, but a template would really help ā€“ itā€™s sometimes more time consuming to delete the irrelevant parts of the pattern than it is to write everything from scratch.

What Iā€™d like to save as a template include:

• The materials page, first and foremost. Itā€™s so easy to miss adding one or two of them when your pattern requires more than just a few ā€“ especially if almost all your patterns require the same things, with the exception of yarn weight and hook (sometimes not even that).

• The intro page; specifically the ā€œplease donā€™t copy or sellā€ disclaimer. It shouldnā€™t be necessary to have one, but it feels better if you do, even if some scammers/thieves donā€™t give a crap about it. It would be very nice to have it in a template so itā€™s automatically there when I choose to start a new pattern with the template.

• Extra: Special instructions - we designers sometimes have a quirk or two when it comes to our patterns, and at least I like to explain what the quirk means before people start the pattern so they donā€™t get confusedā€“but thatā€™s also easy to miss when you donā€™t do it at once.

As I said; youā€™ve done a fantastic job in improving things so far, but I just thought Iā€™d air out my idea and wish for the best :joy: Thank you for your platform!

13 Likes

This is a great idea! I would love to be able to load a template that Iā€™ve pre-filled out with the things that I always have to copy and paste in. Also previously when Iā€™ve replicated a pattern, the new one didnā€™t seem to work with the dropping soon feature.

4 Likes

I would love this! I havenā€™t posted any patterns yet but I have been working on some. I decided to have the same intro, switching up the theme for each specific pattern, and a template would be so cool. For me, everything else can be done manually but, not having to copy and paste that part would be niceā€‹:yellow_heart:

1 Like

Hi! We donā€™t quite have pattern templates yet but you can save a pattern in your shop and call it ā€˜templateā€™ then duplicate it every time you wish to start a new pattern. Would that work?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good option! Thanks Ribblr!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s something I didnā€™t think about, and that could work! Thanks for the idea :blush:

2 Likes

It would still have the issue with the dropping soon feature. Is it supposed to work normally?

1 Like

It is supposed to - yes. Let us know if you have any issues. We also recommend duplicating from a draft pattern and not a published one.

3 Likes

Thank you for the advice, I was duplicating from a published pattern so maybe that was the problem.

1 Like