Pattern Posting/Selling Decision - Should I or should I not?

Hi everyone!
I have something I’ve been thinking about for a little time, but still don’t know what to do.

Here’s the gist: So I made a Christmas Tree Coaster pattern and it’s going to be up in NoKittenAroundStudio on Etsy for our Winter Series (coming out super soon! :wink:) and I want all of my patterns that I post to be available to sell finished products. But I don’t want any people selling this specific product online, but anywhere else is good, like in-person craft fairs, at yarn stores (not posted online though), etc.

What should I do? Should I post this pattern and specify that? Would others respect and follow that? Would they ignore it? Should I not post it? What would you do?

If you have any tips or suggestions I’d be more than happy to hear them, just reply to this thread :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you all so so much in advance and have a great day!

:orange_heart:Nicole
(NoKittenAroundStudio)

  • Yes I should post/sell it
  • No I should not post/sell it
  • Other (please specify below replying to this thread)
  • Mixed feelings (please specify below replying to this thread)

0 voters

3 Likes

I worked with the public for over 25 years and found that 95% of people are excellent but the other 5%, um, well, aren’t so excellent. :roll_eyes:

You can certainly state that on the patterns but not everyone might listen. So if they don’t, is there anything you can do about it? Patterns are copyrighted but I don’t know if the items made from a pattern can be copyrighted. Copyright law is so different from country to country.

3 Likes

Thank you so much this is so so SO helpful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::two_hearts: I think I’m going to make a poll to see what everyone else thinks too :blush:

1 Like

I think you should sell the pattern, with the caveat that finished products are not to be sold online in both the pattern pdf and the pattern description the buyer would see before purchasing the pattern. Most people will respect this and if they are looking for a pattern in order to sell the product, they will choose a different pattern.
If you do find any instances of the coasters being sold online you can ask the platform to pull the items as a copyright infringement. You might need to accept that there is a possibility someone will sell them online and there might not be anything you can do about it.
I don’t think you should let the possibility of someone possibly not doing the right thing by you stop you from selling your patterns.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply and feedback! All the feedback + replies I can get is wonderful, it really truly does help :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

This is the most true statement. Most people will be happy to follow the stated rule (which, you’re not saying they can’t sell. Just can’t sell online). To lose out on the potential income for your hard work and pattern on the off chance that the 5% of Jerks try to go against your request…

Just be clear both before they buy and on the PDF and hopefully the lovely crochet/knitting/creator community will be respectful of your wishes!

2 Likes

Mmmm yes! I wonder if there’s a way to make them (the buyers) to agree to this for those specific patterns… I know of a way on Etsy but am not sure if there’s a way to do something like that on Ribblr, maybe @ribblr would know?

1 Like