Pattern Test Times?

This is mostly for people who test patterns, but how much time is reasonable for pattern tests? How much time would you like on a project that takes 1-3 hours, or 6-8 hours, or 10+? Do expected test times impact which patterns you choose if turnaround seems too fast for your lifestyle?

7 Likes

It’s best to have at least a week of testing. People are busy in between and can’t always crochet for extended periods of time.

For smaller projects I do minimum a week.

For bigger projects and wearable at least a month.

8 Likes

If I see that a test is asking for a very fast turn around I don’t apply because I work a full time job so I have a limited amount of time that I can crochet. But also, I don’t want to chance someone being angry about a test not being done in time. I usually make hat patterns and I ask for the tester to try to be done within a week. I feel like that gives them time to work on it at a generous speed because I know that with creativity, you can’t rush it. Hope that helps.

6 Likes

Sure, that makes sense! I have roughly given similar deadlines, although I think my shortest so far was 2 weeks. (Although I rarely make quick patterns in the 1-3 hour range. It feels like the popular ones have been made already several times over!)

5 Likes

Usually i give two weeks as a designer to testers. The ones ive tested have been a week up to a week and half.

4 Likes

As a tester, I always appreciate a little longer than you would expect. So that may mean 2 weeks instead of 1 or whatever the project calls for. I usually test more than one item at a time so the extra time (even if not used) takes pressure off. It’s typical that I’m done well before deadlines though.

6 Likes

Right, that makes sense especially when you like to work on more than one project! I guess we can also expect that people may need to acquire yarn if they don’t have a huge yarn stash.

6 Likes

Echoing what JayDeeDee said in that I typically apply for patterns where there is at least a couple weeks, even for a project one might end up needing a fraction of the time for. It is nice to have a cushion for the unexpected (or even the mundane) in life, including occasional mobility issues or pain flare-ups, and, if you’re a serial tester, time for the multiple projects you’re testing .

Summary

In terms of specific timeframes, it’s a little challenging because we all work at different speeds and each pattern/pattern-writer is unique in the feedback they seek/their expectations, not to mention the intricacy of the pattern itself. My brain rarely looks at a project in terms of number of hours it may take and moreso the components of that project and various factors that may impact testing time: Does it have a lot of details or sewing? How big/small is it? Will I need to be making frequent adjustments or revisions? Are there going to be any new techniques I need to learn and/or how confident am I in the techniques demonstrated? How much feedback am I required to give? Is the designer more inexperienced or more seasoned at pattern-writing? How much do I need to accommodate for the time it takes to make something in a larger size (thinking garments here as a plus sized individual)? Is it a project that needs blocking or special treatment or photos? If I’m unable to work for a few days, for whatever reasn, am I sure I could complete this project? Do I have all the yarn/tools I need or how long would it take to acquire them? And not least of all: can I reasonably fit this project into my day/week/month and how? That probably seems like a lot, but it’s just a sample of things I may consider before deciding to tackle a test.

All that being said, I do have a sort of guideline for myself after doing a number of tests and knowing what I’m capable of/what my life generally looks like.

I usually won’t apply to a test with a fast turnaround (< a week) due to life’s unpredictability, simply out of respect to the designer and their timetable (like CrochetLibra said); the only exception is if it is a project I know will be a minimal time/energy investment or the designer indicates they are flexible with their deadline.

Smaller amigurumi or those with less detail, I like to have roughly a week. Medium sized or more detailed, 10 days or more; large or a lot of details, 2+ weeks would be ideal (with time increasing in tandem with pattern complexity). Most accesories, unless they’re large (or tiny) and/or complicated stitch patterns, 2 weeks is definitely doable, 3 weeks is great. Garments are usually the most difficult to assess, but I think offering a month plus is ideal dependent on the pattern itself. One thing I used to come across with garment testing was that designers sometimes did not accommodate for how it typically takes more time (and yarn) to work up larger garments. So, if a pattern offers those sizes the deadline should be adjusted to give ample time.

Of course, it may not take that entire designated time to work the pattern (and not very often do I push it to the deadline), but I always like to work with some buffer room and so choose patterns where I have some wiggle room

Sorry didn’t mean for this to be a novel; I have put it behind an arrow so it doesn’t take up so much real estate. :sweat_smile:

TL;DR (and answering the original questions): A week minimum, but it’s certainly pattern specific. For 1-3 hrs, a few days; 6-8 hrs, a week to two; 10+, 2 weeks or more. (Again, this is all dependent on my perception of a pattern’s complexity, but trying to think in terms of time: if I dedicate one to two hours a day to pattern testing, as a minimum, how long would these projects take me, including photos and compiling feedback?) And absolutely, yes. I will typically not test things with extremely short testing periods, knowing how I like to spend my time with a pattern and how my days often go.

Also sorry again for this long ramble, idk why I’m like this :rofl:

6 Likes

Hey, no need to apologize! It’s nice to know how people like to go about testing. While some people will binge crochet for hours, others need to break it up a lot.

As a maker, it’s good for us to step back and remember that perhaps not everyone crochets at our pace or has similar amounts of free time or drive. I always want to make sure that people have more than enough time to test, even if I’m emotionally tied to a pattern and want to see results! (Waiting is so hard sometimes!)

4 Likes

Exactly; you said it really well! While I personally love to binge crochet, sadly my hands don’t let me do that anymore. However, the need to slow down and give myself time to complete projects has definitely given me a new perspective wrt to deadlines and accommodating for different needs, abilities, and circumstances, etc.

Waiting is challenging! I haven’t made a pattern, but I can imagine how exciting it must be to see other people bringing your vision and hard work to life. :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

I don’t crochet as fast as I used to, but nowadays my crochet is accurate, with really good tension, and I’m pleased with the project if I get to make it at my pace.
Deadlines just make screw up the project so I don’t test anymore.

5 Likes

A week

2 Likes

I like to have longer testing times, I am a pretty slow crocheter and usually frog a lot. I also need time to take in my project.

2 Likes

Due to working full time I only offer to help if there is a picture of the finished piece. Then I can work out if can test in time.
I also like extra cushion time for those just in case moments

3 Likes