Pattern tester question

Hey everyone
I have a set of crochet blanket patterns, but no pictures of the finished product. I have no need for more blankets but would love to publish these.
Which do you think would be the more acceptable way to present these for testing?
A) a detailed drawing to see the total construction
-or -
B) a miniature piece done in thread to see the total construction

8 Likes

Hello! Not sure how much my opinion matters in the subject as I only crochet amigurumis, but I would vote for option “B”

6 Likes

Tbh, I’m hoping folks can just go with a drawing, since it’s all flat anyway, otherwise I’ll have to go buy a boat load of thread

5 Likes

Of course your opinion counts, you test patterns also
I don’t think what is for would matter so much.

6 Likes

Id be fine with drawn personally! :3
I cant help with actual testing cause I dont have yarn for a blanket
thread would make it easier for sure but if youre good at detailed drawing itd work fine

6 Likes

I’m working on the math to make them scale with yarn weights/gauge. So you could pick from a small baby blanket up to bed sizes. It’s going to take a while to work out the formulas and I have about 15 projects ahead of them in line :thinking:

8 Likes

advanced crocheters or intermediate crocheters who have experience in using written or especially photo patterns can do with just A
for the people who use vision of an actual project or beginners, B would definitely help them a lot
it just depends on son the person

6 Likes

I feel “B” is best! That way, crafters could actually see what the pattern, looked like…

5 Likes

not sure, cuz i have never crocheted a blanket :sweat_smile: before but i think B might be easier to follow…

5 Likes

i have made tiny blankets and i tended to use both a picture and a written pattern, but making a pattern just from a picture of the finished product or an imitation will be much harder
so for b we need a written pattern as well

5 Likes

If I’m understanding correctly, you are meaning instead of having a picture of a finished full size blanket, you would either have a detailed drawing or a picture of a finished miniature blanket… If this is the case, I think it depends on the stitch pattern. If you are making a “graphgan” then a drawing/“chart” would show the final idea just fine, but if you are wanting to do something with texture, I think a miniature (or even full size in some cases) is necessary…
I have seen some people who have offered to pay someone to make the object for picture purposes (maybe not pay as much as you normally would expect for a handmade item because they get to keep the final project… ie: I wouldn’t pay $200+ for a blanket, even though that is what I’d charge for a blanket commission, because they are keeping the final blanket I may be willing to pay them $30-50 plus materials and allow them to sell the final project)…

6 Likes

A drawing would be good for me.

5 Likes

Depends, if it’s c2c, granny squares or even a basic stich like SC or DC I think a drawing would be fine but if it’s like Katherine stitch or something special it probably needs a picture.

Edit: oh what? 3 months my bad I got this on what I thought was recent threads at the bottom of a page. Says suggested but now I’m not sure what this thread list at the bottom is for.

4 Likes

Whoops! I have replied to old postings too! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

The posts at the bottom are supposed to be related to the post you just read, in some way. I think the algorithm picks them out based on key words.

4 Likes