Pattern upload help

Newbie here… I have a 26 page pattern that I would LOVE to upload in Ribblr. I am completely overwhelmed with idea of doing this. I know it should be simple but my experience with a far smaller pattern I uploaded is that it is quite a bit of work. Perhaps there’s a learning curve? Are there any tips and tricks to help? Sorr if this is the wrong place for this question.

7 Likes

I only know tunisian in theory, so I will be of no help in formatting and terminology…
But I have quite a collection of published patterns now and I can speak on that process.
First, no matter how many times you read it, you can not simply copy and paste a pattern into ribbuild. I mean, you can, but at best, it produces a sub par pattern that will not take advantage of all the tools built into the system for the end user’s optimal experience.
That being said, there are shortcuts and tips that do make it easier.
First off, I would go through my pattern and edit any redundancy.
Example, if it were a lace pattern with a 12 row repeat, there is no need to type all of it out. You can condense to the 12 rows and say repeat rows 1 - 12 x times/length
Make sure you use the word “repeat” whenever possible, in the pattern, that word will trigger a counter and prevent you from having to type out multiple lines that could just be on a counter
use the media buttons on the side of the line to show instead of explain
on the top part of each line, you have a few tools you can use to speed things along
1)check mark - clicking the check mark on more than one line will make your next action affect all of the lines checked, and they do not have to be consecutive lines
2) x2- this will copy the line you just wrote, or multiple lines of checked, and they will duplicate already highlighted if you need erase or copy over but just wanted the same type of line or wanted your number sequence filled in
3)double arrows- this changes the type of line you are creating and can be selected after the line is typed/copied.
a)header for large bold print and a section on the slide out table of contents
b)sub header, still purple and bold, but not large, still gets a section on the contents
c) info (i) bold type with extra info warnings, tips, suggestions, or just a space to add an extra video/chart/picture
d) number (#) these are the actual pattern lines
4)trash can- it’s a trashcan
one more thing you can do with checking multiple lines is get a symbol with crossing arrows and that will merge two lines together. This is mostly helpful if you need to copy a large portion of the pattern that will be fairly similar (like a different size) You can group them into one large line, duplicate them, then keep duplicating down while editing out what you don’t need. Or if you attempt to copy paste a large portion of text into the system and then need put them back together into the section intended.
Your charts are separate from your patterns. Each time you make a chart, it is saved in a library and must be manually added to the pattern, This means that each pattern you make that you would like to have the same chart for (like matching hat and gloves in same stitch chart) you can pull that chart up and apply it to the next pattern as well.
Sizes…this is VERY important
You can use this tool any way you like to separate different sizes of items, or different options (like in the round vs flat) or (bunny vs cat) any place that there would be a slight difference in the pattern or a reason that you would diverge down one path instead of another. You just assign it a letter,number, or name in the start and maintain that option every time you type it ,or use the “sizes” box to pick only the ones that the line pertains to. The selection will stay the same if you duplicate the line. The proper way to type it is to have the number/letter a parentheses the next number/letter a comma the next letter/number and a parentheses to end, any variation on that will not result in the tool working properly.
Then anything you may have missed can be caught in the testing phase.

Yes, to do it correctly is quite daunting, but you only have to do it once, and you can just chose to duplicate an entire finished pattern ,if you have a similar one that you would like to publish, and only edit it. I love that ribblr does not let you just copy paste in or out, it cuts down on the IP theft and lazy writers that put out bad patterns. I hope this helps, and
I hope this was helpful and I’m always happy to answer questions.

7 Likes

Amen to your comment on lazy writers!! I’ve been the victim of that a few times.

6 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to write out such a detailed response. Excellent tips and information. I think I need to tackle it a bit at at a time instead of thinking about tackling it all at once.

5 Likes

You can always pick back up where you left off.
Better to take your time and get it right

6 Likes

I haven’t written a pattern on Ribblr so I can’t be much help, but grannyroomcrafts did a great job with that! It’s best to take your time to not make any mistakes, and once you finish and are still worried whether it’s correct you can have testers test the pattern to make absolutely sure it’s readable/understandable as well as receive their thoughts and opinions, of course don’t rely on testers to write/fix the pattern but seeing how you have 26 pages for the pattern you probably know what you’re doing and it’'ll probably just be the formatting that you’ll need to fix if any :smile: Good luck and take your time! if there’s still some confusion on how ribbuild works I believe there’s a section about it in the help center specifically for the tools there :smiling_face:

5 Likes

This pattern is has been tested and is currently published on Etsy, Ravelry and Lovecrafts. But it might not be a bad idea to have it tested in Ribblr as well.

5 Likes

Don’t be afraid to swap in and out of edit mode to see what the customer would see verses what you see.
Leave it for a while and come back to look again because sometimes tools glitch in and out. But yeah, take your time, don’t let yourself get frustrated.

5 Likes

Yeah like grannyroomcrafts mentioned there could be a glitch that might affect the pattern, but overall it’ll just be making the pattern in ribbuild that’ll take time, so if you do decide to test it’ll just be for the formating :smile: also I’m not sure if it was mentioned yet but I believe once you publish the pattern if you want to edit it you’ll have to unpublish it and republish it? I could be wrong though, let me know if that’s not the case!

4 Likes

That is the case, and it blows.

5 Likes