Pattern writing

hi guys!! im writing a pattern for a raglan colorblock sweater and I was wondering how do you guys like your patterns?
I like patterns that are really detailed and explain why things are the way they are, i also don’t mind when they include pictures but I know that’s not everyone’s cup of tea. some like them straight to the point with just the basics!
So, how do you like yours? Or what don’t you like?
I am neurodivergent so made to measure patterns are a nightmare to keep up with because they don’t give a stitch count and I lose track so easily I’m basically frogging more than I crochet lol. im better at it now fortunately, but im looking forward to your feedback! I’m super curious!

9 Likes

Personally I love it when it has photos and (even videos as ribblr does) showing or demonstrating what they did, even if I already knew. Its nice to know if I ever doubt myself I have something to fall back on and double check just in case. Especially when I was just beginning as everything was overwhelming to read, but with videos and photos I got the hang of it quickly and I’m now confident in reading and understanding patterns, even testing them to help pattern creators

I actually prefer it with both made to measure and the stitches they used as a reference as often times our sizes differ so only knowing what stitches they used wouldn’t benefit me (this is manly for crochet projects like clothing where it differs from person to person) I remember one time I had measured my size and had meant to follow it but I accidentally followed their stitches since I got too focused on the video and it came out smaller :rofl:

Also, I’m just curious on how much detail you prefer in patterns? I’m usually fine with the abbreviations and numbers, but when I write my patterns I usually also go pretty detailed for me to understand and then make it more shorter and concise to quickly create if you understand that lol

5 Likes

In patterns, I like it straightforward cause I’m a fast crocheter so I don’t care for all the words but when writing I do like to explain what I do to make sure it’s comprehensive for everyone. Not sure I’ll include videos of my own but links of YouTube tutorials for sure!
it’s my first time writing a pattern that is not just for myself and in the form of doodles so all this feedback is super nice! I’ll make sure to figure out a way to make it made-to-measure!

6 Likes

I definitely agree with this! I do appreciate pictures, and videos, to me, are even better.

Oh and I definitely wish everyone would put stitch counts at the end of their rows.

7 Likes

No problem! For some measurements when I look for patterns for clothing that are made-to-measure they all (for the ones I’ve seen) all have the same things (for the most part) that need to be measured like the front panels (shoulder to waist or desired height) waist and shoulder to shoulder (width) sleeve length ( shoulder to wrist or shorter if short sleeves) the arm holes, neck holes, (basically how wide it needs to be) among a lot of others so finding a guide for how clothing is made/measured or what measurements to take when making clothing (crochet tor not) is pretty helpful I’d think, especially since your crochet cardigan could be made differently than others so some measurements would be required while others won’t

Also taking account the ribbing length is important for the overall size as well :relaxed: hopefully that all helped lol if not I’m sure I can find a video/site that explains it a lot better than myself :laughing:

5 Likes

I love it when patterns do that as well! I enjoy not having to do some quick math in the middle of counting my rows and crocheting, ruining my flow lol :laughing:

4 Likes

Right!?! :laughing:
I also just want to make sure my count matches to to theirs.

3 Likes

I mostly knit, but I like my patterns super organized and I write them that way.
I want the finished sizes for each size then any special stitches used spelled out in on spot I can return to if needed.
Then I want seperate headings for each section of the pattern, so I can skip around to specific parts if I want to do them in a different order than written.
Then I want row/round instructions different from information about the instructions so I can skip over it or pay special attention to it.

5 Likes

Yes! One time I made the mistake of choosing not to count my stitches when crocheting an octopus and it somehow came out looking like a hybrid between an octopus and squid- :rofl::octopus::squid: I call him squidopus

3 Likes

I only add stitch counts when it absolutely matters, sometimes it won’t matter… Same with row gauge. If you will be working this to a certain length instead of count, then row gauge won’t matter

4 Likes

Agree with the gauge thing

3 Likes

That’s too funny!!! :laughing::laughing:

3 Likes

Despite my mistake lol it came out really cute so I plan to purposely create another one and call them octuid :laughing: now if I can only remember the amount stitches I used it would be perfect lol

3 Likes

I agree with having patterns organized
and separated in parts especially if it’s going to have many different parts. Headings and subheadings could make a big difference in creating and understanding a pattern or a confusing pattern if it’s all jumbled together

4 Likes

It’s been ages since I’ve worked from someone else’s patterns, but I remember often being upset about the format and having to rewrite the whole thing before making all the changes I wanted to make for customizing

4 Likes

Hahaha, that’s great

3 Likes

I tend to try to make my patterns easy enough for beginners to follow. So, a little extra explaining once in a while. Ribblr is perfect for this option, as I can put in an “information” line before the number rounds / rows. Experienced crafters can skip over the info lines easily enough. Pictures / videos … are the best!

5 Likes

Personally I prefer straight forward less words, and easy to follow. So if I loose my place or bump my pencil ect I can easily find my place again. I prefer to print my patterns out.
From my own personal experience with say beginners or visual learners it’s helpful for photos or links to a video showing techniques or stitches. Gauge swatch is good to put in the pattern however tension of each individual varies too so may need to go up a hook or down defending so maybe make note of that as well.
Aprox amount of yarn needed for the pattern and Tools (sewing needle, stitch markers ect) needed

4 Likes

Sorry, but I couldn’t help but pause at your statement that “gauge was important however tension is different for everyone”
This leads me to think you have misunderstood what gauge and swatch are.
If I work a piece and print a pattern off of it, I will write down the guage that all of my measurements and counts are based off of, and the needle or hook I used to obtain this.
Then you make a swatch of the same number of stitches and rows that I said, with the same needle or hook that I suggested and measure to see if you got the same results. Then you adjust accordingly. Every artists different tension is the entire purpose of the swatch and gauge, and it’s the artist’s responsibility to go up and down to reach that gauge. No maybe about it if you want your item to be the right size.

5 Likes

Sweet Jesus, I wish they would.

I’m getting into the habit of asking the designer about stitch counts, size of safety eyes, and whatever is missing BEFORE I even buy the pattern.

4 Likes