Pom poms Help

Anyone have any advanced tips for making pom poms?
I have ALL the thingamajigs and mine fall apart every single time!
Any tips for that string that goes around the cut pieces besides pull tighter. I did pull tighter and yarn flew everywhere,

12 Likes

Watch a tutorial that all I got sorry :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Tie once tightly, but not too tight, on that side, then wrap around again and tie it on the other side. Maybe you can tie it tighter then, on the second side. Without an extra finger to hold it, not sure.

7 Likes

Yes, you see my predicament. No extra fingers anymore. He’d be glad to do it too!

5 Likes

Well, there are a lot of tutorials and I’ve watched many of them.

I’m going to try a thread called eco flex.

4 Likes

im new here and i really wish i could see a vid of what you’re doing…the size of your pom pom matters as well bc if its small, the yarn may be too short and harder to secure. i would start w a slightly larger sized pom pom, secure it first by tying it off down the center, cut all the loops, and then size/shape to your desires. hope this helps!

5 Likes

This doesn’t really say how to tie it tight. Maybe if you did this, the initial tightness wouldn’t matter so much. I do this to keep them together.

4 Likes

That’s a great idea, thanks!

4 Likes

I double strand my tie string and then it works fine.

5 Likes

Ok, thanks everybody.

I tried to add a video of what I did, but states unauthorized file.

I used a pom Pom maker and Elo flex thread.

5 Likes

I may have forgotten about that tip … thanks.

3 Likes

I’m going to try to explain this the best I can
When you are doing the first step to tie a knit and you put the yarn through the loop, do it again… Maybe another way to say: cross the yarn then take one side under the cross 2 times
When you do the second cross under it helps to act like a finger holding it tight, then do the second part of the knot a normal

2 Likes

Ok, for making pom poms, you need a lottt more yarn than you think u need lol. Cus you are gonna have to cut it down till its no longer floppy.

The way i do it is wrap a long strand around 2 fingers. Then when im happy with the amount i cut the yarn. With a separate piece, of yarn i pull the yarn under the lump between my fingers, if my fingers are too tight together, i use a tapestry or a plastic needle to pull it through. Then, i tie the yarn so it holds the lump together, and slide everything off my fingers. Then i tighten it and double and triple knot it. Then i cut all the loops and trim them till it looks full

2 Likes

I just saw that u already made it, i should read the whole thread before commenting, lol

Good work <3

2 Likes

Even if I made it work others can benefit from the suggestions.

1 Like