Pricing of Pattern

Hi guys! Just wanted some feedback on the pricing of my octopus squishy/stress toy (shown down below). I was originally going to release it as a free pattern, then I decided setting a low price (probably around, or less than, £1) would be better as it avoids plagiarism and ensures that I receive proper credit when others complete my work. It is also due to the fact that I have worked to make this pattern, no matter how simple it may be.

However, I received a DM early about this, recommending that I produce this as a free pattern as it is simple and more people will want it if it is free. I am fine to do so, however I would like feedback from others first.

9 Likes

I don’t think there is anything wrong with pricing it. Anyways you aren’t even going to cost that much. Personally I would because every designer spends a lot of time on every pattern no matter how big or small. I personally think is a bit rude to ask designers to make there pattern free. Like it’s not that simple. I am actually testing your pattern now. It’s going great so far.

7 Likes

Thank you very much for the feedback!

5 Likes

Welcome, I am 12 and started crochet 5 months ago so I am not a pro but still I have learned quite a bit and enjoy crochet so much!

5 Likes

I agree with @amit2677 that’s it’s rude to tell a designer what to price their pattern. You know how much time you put into it and so you’re the one who decides the price. Try to ignore the rude people, :blush:

7 Likes

I’d suggest setting a price as most mini octopus patterns on this platform cost money and im sure it would sell <3

5 Likes

Ultimately, it’s up to you. You could do both, price it and do a free type sale for a bit. With me, I tend to wonder if I want people to make my pattern, or if I want the sale. Know what I mean? The great patterns do both. I have some ideas in my head that could do that, but until then …

Here on Ribblr it doesn’t say how many people have your pattern, bought or free. And how many make it is dependent on if they make a journal. So the free doesn’t always help either.

I’m not as hard on the one(s) that said to make it free. It does seem you are asking.

Good luck with your choice.

5 Likes

So, a lot of designers post free patterns, but usually on a website where they get a bit of ad revenue if people view the page. They usually offer PDFs at a cost.

It’s really up to you if you want to charge. People who are willing to pay will pay £1. Others will go look for a free version elsewhere. There are a lot of octopus patterns around.

If you want to charge purely to protect your pattern, you could always make it a charity pattern. People will buy for a cause

5 Likes