Problem with Chibi Rover Amigurumi (Solved)

Hi there! Bought this “Chibi Rover” pattern but got stuck right before Rnd 2. I’m still a beginner at crochet so maybe it’s just me but I feel like I’m missing something looking at the sheet detailing what to do next. It doesn’t have me start with a magic ring but a chain and only tells me once to turn while the rest continues on with different chaining. Eventually it wants me to start stuffing but…am I not just making a flat thing that eventually I sew together and stuff??? I’m so confused lol.

Beginning part of pattern that I’ve done but then got stuck on:

"Chain 16
Rnd 1: start in second ch from hook:

• sc in next 14 sts, 1 db inc in next st,
  • turn, sc in next 13 sts,
  • 1 inc in next st = 32 sc (stuck here)

Rnd 2: 1 db inc in next st, sc in next 13 sts," and so on.

Any help or explanation would be appreciated!

Edit: Thanks to everyone who messaged to help! So if anyone has done a “3 Peas in a Pod” amigurumi it’s like how you can make the pod where you continue in an oval, wrapping around the chain to the “bottom” and continue from there. Eventually it creates a “pouch” that you can begin stuffing and eventually close off to make the body.

4 Likes

If it is French, db (double bride) is a treble in English
db is not used in standard English terms sc is not used in French
I don’t know why they would mix terms like that
I’m confused where the 32 sc comes from and where they go on the next row

2 Likes

I was confused about the terminology mixing aswell…I’m not very good at math, but the stitch count doesn’t appear to add up…

2 Likes

Why on earth would you put the stitch count for two rows together like that?
I hate to think of the rest of the pattern

2 Likes

As a side note, I personally don’t use magic ring, I was taught to make a chain, join it, and work into that chain over the tail as I go. Then you pull the tail to tighten, but you have the security of the chain to hold together. You have a significantly less chance of that baby coming loose for decades

2 Likes

So this is technique where you are working on both sides of the foundation chain in the round. You are working with an oval instead of a circle. I think the desired outcome is:

Rnd 1: Ch 16, start in the 2nd chain from the hook

• Sc in the next 14 sts, 3 sc in the last st (I think the db is short for double, though I’ve never seen this before)
  • turn the chain so you are working on the opposite side of the chain—directly opposite of the sts you just made. If you’ve never done this before that might not be super clear. Videos working on both sides of the foundation chain might be more helpful.
    -sc in the next 13 sts, inc in the last st.

So you should have 32 sts at the end of the first round.

For Rnd 2 I think it’s (3 sc in the next st, sc in the next 13 sts) repeat to the end of round

But I’m pretty certain that will not work out evenly.

I hope that was helpful, but I would definitely reach out to the designer. I’m really not sure what db stands for and that definition would be really helpful here.

3 Likes

I have worked plenty of projects from a center chain like that, but I have never seen it written so poorly.

3 Likes

DB stands for double bride (Treble crochet) in US terms

I understand why the stitch count is like that for 2 rows, as we’re making an oval rather than a circle. But you can tell this is poorly written…And despite lack of clarity the stitch count would be 30, not 32… I agree the best thing to do is reach out to whoever wrote it.

1 Like

I’ve deleted a lot of my comments as I’ve gradually found them more confusing, but with a fresh mind I finally think I understand this…

But here’s an elaboration:

Your going to chain 16, than of course one stitch won’t be useable (you’d undo the 16th chain) (start in the 2nd chain from your hook) So we have 15 working sts, we sc into the next 14, leaving one stitch, than we make 2 treble crochet stitches in one stitch (an increase)DB is a double bride in French terms (why they’re mixing terms is beyond me) Then, we continue along the bottom of the chain making 13 sc (why its 13, idk) than we increase again, but assumingly with only single crochets.

We sc into 14, inc in one =16

Than, we sc into 13, and increase= 14

14+16 only equals 30.

This probably isn’t helpful, because it doesn’t solve your issue at all, but it’s not because you’re a beginner, it’s a poorly constructed pattern.m

1 Like

Ive made a chibi pattern before so hopefully this helps.
your working around the chain in an oval. The **db inc **is 4 sc into the first ch st or last ch. this is to create a more oblong head from left to right instead of round. Then you’ll go down the other side of the chain making 13 sc in the other side of the original chain. You should have 1 st left and make an inc there which is two sc.

If your still having an issue message the designer. Not sure why this designer wrote db inc because that can be confusing.

3 Likes

This is more concise than my explanation! I originally thought it meant 4sc but switched to 3sc because that met the 32 st count. That db inc is the big question! :grinning:

2 Likes

My brain hurt after i made the one i did. Mine was a chibi gandalf. My son loved it butmy poor brain… :joy:
i’ll be honest. Im really good at determining things but there are times i get stumped. I just about grabbed some yarn and took photos for the OP ( original poster)

2 Likes

it just irks me that there are such poorly written patterns out there and people have the nerve to charge for them

3 Likes

I almost grabbed some yarn too :rofl: I do love a challenge!

3 Likes

OOHH! Okay, That makes waaay more sense. I actually did something similar with making the pod for my 3 peas in a pod so I can actually visualize now how this works in my head lol. Okay, wow, now I can actually see where the stuffing comes in since you basically do have enough of a “body” at some point during the rounds.

They list “db inc” for “double increase” and then a “db dec” for double decrease. But yeah, was very confused because they made a typo for the “db inc” and accidentally had “double decrease” printed there as well.

3 Likes

Oh shoot is it really? That’s another typo for the pattern sheet because they have under their abbreviations list for “db inc” as “double decrease (which for sure I’m assuming is a typo) (crochet 3 sc in the same stitch)”

2 Likes

they have a double increase as 3 sc in same stitch? I mean, it’s their pattern and their pattern key, but one would assume a double increase would be creating 4 in that situation… seems like (3sc) in next stitch would have been clearer

3 Likes

Ive never seen it written like that either. I think this is why we need clarity.
So if thats the case disregard what I said.

1 Like