Q1 Stash update!

Right off the bat, I have my blog post up about this and even though it’ll be the same info as in this post plus a bit extra. I’d super love if y’all could go over there and leave a like and comment to help me out.
Now onto the content.

I’ve been working on reducing my stash, most importantly though trying to get rid of/use up my acrylic so I only have natural or mostly natural blends in my stash. I did my best to arrange the yarns in the same way they were in the original photos for the most accurate comparison, white sheet are the old photos, red is the new ones.

The first set of photos are of my WIPs, projects that are ready to start and overflow from the other storage crates.

The second set of photos are from my natural fibre crate. There are some synthetic fibres in here but only if they are a blend with natural fibres.

The final set of photos are of my acrylic crate, which I’m glad to say is shrinking. I didn’t realise that I had cut off the bottom of the photo until after I had already packed them away and the sun began to set. However you can still see all the yarn, they’re just cut in half.

I’m very pleased with my progress considering I was out of commission for a while, hopefully I can continue to make a dent as the year goes on.

14 Likes

Good progress! What are you making with all that acrylic
??

6 Likes

I gave some to my mama because she got back into knitting and I’ve been working on a crochet linen stitch rug with 5 strands of dk held together. I’ll probably use it to make sone toys and stuff, not clothing though or things that get washed.

6 Likes

That’s a lot of wool

I have a whole wardrobe full of wool, most I had inherited from my aunt, i don’t really know when it will all get used​:laughing:

6 Likes

do you live where it’s cold?
You can always practice making hats and give them to the shelter for homeless, domestic abuse, nursing home, mental institutions, halfway houses, and the like. Those people live on about 900-1200 of disability income a month. Some of their housing is subsidized but still…

8 Likes

I live in Australia
I am 15, and am still in school
I would like to do more crocheting, but I sort of want to make a store at school, but I don’t think that is possible. It would take years, 1500000 of me, or maybe a few octopus to make enough stuff to sell

Say I started to make something sort of small/medium and made loads of them, that would take a long time with life, school and other stuff happening

I made a garland with 40 hearts and it took like 2/3 months in free time that I had, including school holidays

We gave lots away to charity and craft groups because we couldn’t sell much in a garage store

5 Likes

There will come a season in your life where you will have more time.

6 Likes

I’d say I’m split 50/50 for wool and cotton. I’ve also got tencel which is a yarn made from recycled wood pulp.

Maybe try seeing if you can find Australian crocheters and knitters on youtube and Instagram. They might have some ideas for what you could make that’s more suited to your climate. And remember there’s more than just clothes that you can make from any fibre :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is an awesome idea! The progress you’ve made is honestly inspiring! I just got back into crocheting and would like to make some dents in the stash I currently have and think this is an awesome way to do that :relaxed: Kudos and hope to see more creations from you!

7 Likes

Do you have any projects in mind for working through your stash? I like having these photos of my stash so I can see exactly what I have and makes it easier when trying to decide what I want to make.

7 Likes

Granny squares are amazing for using multiple colors and making different sized items depending on how many squares you make :relaxed:

8 Likes

Don’t worry about your stash, some of mine is 20 years
Instagram have some wonderful makers to give you
Ideas. I’m from Sth Aust and in Winter I made one Slouch beanie
And an Infinity scarf and have so many asking me to make them.
They only pay for the item and pick from my stash so that’s how
you could make a bit of extra cash.
Well done and keep crocheting and don’t stress, you’ll get
some time in the holidays or do it when you’re stressed.
Just if you pick a maker don’t forget to mention them.
So love to hear young people doing crochet and knitting.
:+1:t2:

5 Likes

Welcome to ribblr!

4 Likes

Thank you :hibiscus:. I’m still trying to navigate but I’ll get there

5 Likes

Welcome to the site! I run a few fun little craft alongs here on Ribblr so feel free to join them if you’d like :slight_smile:. The main reason the size of my stash bothers me is I have OCD with hoarding tendencies, so the more stash I have the more at risk I am of having a full blown hoarding spiral. Plus a good chunk of my stash is acrylic or acrylic blends and I want acrylic out of my stash for environmental reasons so trying to find ways to use it up without being too repetitive is the struggle. It doesn’t help that I just took on someone’s stash who stopped knitting and it doubled my yarn and most of it is acrylic. But I’ll still use it all!

A lot more young people crochet than knit but I’ve noticed more starting to switch to knitting after having crocheted for a year or two. Of course I do both and I actually do them in public, I’ve noticed it makes older people smile when they spot me crafting and that makes my day.

I need to do the mid-year/quarter 2 stash update but I’ve had a lot of health problems this past two months and can’t get the yarn out to take photos just yet, but soon I will!

3 Likes

I’m sorry you’re struggling with health problems. It can be an unpredictable roller coaster especially if you have chronic health problems.

3 Likes