Question!!! Copyright for free pattern? (Solved)

Hi all!

So I am considering making some crochet patterns based off of copyright characters(Disney, DreamWorks, etc).

Now I know it is not allowed to sell copyright character based patterns (and plushies) due to infringement, but is it okay if I make it a free pattern? Like, if its free, would it be an infringement. I don’t want to get sued for a free pattern…

13 Likes

Okay, so I just found this article, and it is definitely frowned upon.

If I create a crochet/knitting pattern based off a TV show character and share it for free, is that copyright infringement? - Legal Answers.

9 Likes

It is best to get with a copyright attorney because just finding things on the internet and taking that for law is very dicey and taking a chance to get a lawsuit. With big name companies like Disney and all of that you’re playing a very very close game of death. Cuz they come down on people so hard you would be bankrupt in everything before you could even say Amen.

3 Likes

So basically, it’s not legal. But the companies don’t seem to mind. A friend of mine wrote a teletubby pattern and teletubbies themselves acknowledged it. But personnaly I would prefer seeking permission. Like at the moment I’ve written a pattern similar to a youtuber copyright character, so I’ve written her an email asking for permission to post a tester call and later publish that pattern.

3 Likes

Get permission from the copyright holder first. Money doesn’t factor into it. Whether you offer it for free or paid doesn’t matter. Without legal permission it is illegal

1 Like

@GretchenHulett @BlueBerryGum @tygger428
Thank you all for the advice! I am definitely not going to even start writing a pattern unless I can get permission :slight_smile:

2 Likes