Question/poll about how you crochet

So, I first learned how to crochet when I was 8 by a friend’s mom. (This was the late 80’s) It was very minimal like she taught my friend and I how to basically make a row of dc’s and stick some google eyes on them and they were snakes lol. Then around 2008 or so I retaught myself how to crochet using a book that had basically drawings for pictures. Now, my sister and my goddaughter want me to show them how. So my problem is, I am not sure that I hold my work correctly, because most of the videos of people crocheting if they are right-handed, hold their index finger up on their left hand to control tension. I pinch my work with my left hand and just have the yarn over the index and under the rest. See pic for what I am referring to.

My question is… does everyone hold their work in the traditional way with index finger up? I can do it that way it just doesn’t seem natural to me at this point…I just don’t want to teach them the wrong way if that makes sense.
holdingwork

8 Likes

Show them both ways and they can see what is most comfortable as they get used to doing the stitches. That might help. :blush:

7 Likes

Personally I didn’t realize there was a “proper” way of like holding the yarn, I just kinda held it how it felt comfy, so I feel like whenever you’re comfortable with something in art then it’s good So teaching/showing them both ways might help them find what they find comfy :blush:

7 Likes

I think the finger up just gives you more room to hook the yarn.
I play pool. People try to get me to hold my cue stick differently too. It was usually after I beat them. :smirk: Comfortable, and proper tension are the keys.
There are also different ways to hold the hook.

5 Likes

Love that analogy!

4 Likes

@gnomehome
Show them a couple of ways, encourage them to look at other ways but tell them to settle on whatever “combo” feels most comfortable for them and gets the job done. Same with the hook.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the advice. I will show them a few different ways including my own since it has worked so far!

4 Likes

It doesn’t really matter, just hold it how it’s most comfortable. After crocheting for a couple of years, I decided to get some lessons at my local craft store, they told me that I was holding the yarn wrong and I tried to correct it but it just wasn’t comfortable, I finally realized that no matter how I hold the yarn, it’s still crochet! So don’t try to change it if you don’t want to :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Honestly, I personally believe it boils down to personal preference and what is most comfortable for you. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

As my great aunt Joan always said, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

6 Likes