Questions for Bralette Makers

I’m in the process of making my second bralette.

I’m following the pattern to get the design I want but for the straps I don’t want them to be tie.
My question is what is the most sturdy kind of strap to make? I don’t plan to wear my bralettes on their own as I’m not comfortable with that. I just want them to add cuteness to some outfits.

I also wanted to ask because I have a few people wanting me to make them some. How do I change the sizing? As I just put the cup up to my bra to get the size I needed. I’m not even sure what size mine would be considered.

P.S. sorry for all the questions and I do appreciate all the help.

5 Likes

No problem with asking questions! I’m not a bralette maker, but does strap mean what goes over the shoulder?

As for the sizing you can measure with a measuring tape or ruler compared to your body so you know exactly where it needs to go on the other and you can ask those that want some to measure from x to x and y to y, etc and go from there by crocheting until it reaches that size

An example would be lets say you’re making a bracelet you would have them measure around their wrist and with the number you receive crochet until it reaches that length. Or if you’re making something to just cover the forearms you would have them measure from their wrists to before the elbow and then have them measure around the forearm to know how wide to make it,

Same thought process as that whatever the bralette covers on you have them measure that length on their body like the cup have them measure their cup and the measurements you receive you crochet to that, another thing the person can do is if they having bralette’s or something similar to one that they like they can measure that instead of their body to still get the measurements

Let me know if that makes sense I can probably word it a bit better :smile:

4 Likes

the sturdiest straps will most likely be woven, or plaited like the old friendship baceletes
bra cups are measured by how many inches beyond the body they project. If your ribcage under the bust is 36 inches and your bust line at the apex is 37 inches, then you are an A cup. the letters coordinate with the inch difference (there is an overlap with DD/DDD being the same as E/F depending on the company) so each cup will add 1/2 inch to the overall circumference for each cup size.
There is also the factor of coverage. The larger the bust, the more coverage you will need. they do not just stick out more but spread out and higher as well.
you will also need to consider how wide the apex (furtherest point out) is from each other and the placement of the straps. Not all constructions work on all shapes.
This was probably more info than you wanted or maybe even needed but important if you want to make them for other people. As a difficult to fit shape myself, this is a subject close to my heart.

5 Likes