Recommendations

Hi so I have a finished project and I feel the safety eyes are too small what size would you suggest for a project this size

6 Likes

I’ll be honest I have a whole pack of different sizes safety eyes in varying sizes but I actually don’t know which sizes they belong to lol, I usually just find a pair and place them on the head without placing the backing to see which eyes I prefer, if you happen to have a variety pack you can try as well, if not you can also use felt to cut out the size you want, starting bigger then cutting down to smaller sizes, in the end it’s whatever you find you want it to look like :smile:

8 Likes

Yeah I got these and they were the biggest size I could find in store but then now I see people online who have really really big eyes

5 Likes

I got a variety pack on Amazon (it even came with some different types of animal noses!) I even see some amigurumi with colored eyes! There’s a lot out there lol :laughing: if it’s possible I would either look online for different sizes amigurumi eyes or look at different craft stores for safety eyes if online isn’t an option. If it’s still not possible to find any I would go with the felt like I said or make smaller amigurumi so the eyes look bigger/normal on the doll

Edit: I believe you can even crochet eyes as well! I’ve seen some good ones here, but if you’re looking for the traditional round eyes I would just do a magic circle and expand depending on how big you want the eyes you want to be (I did that for a doll and it came out really cute, and you have the option of choosing whatever colors your want) buttons might also be a good option if you can sew/want to sew (or just use glue)

5 Likes

you can also use the little eyes with a felt cutout (or two) to make actual eyes and those be the pupils

7 Likes

Thank you guys I will look online for more sizes

4 Likes

@lsinger

5 Likes

Would you recommend something like these?

5 Likes

Well, I think those types are good choices. Not sure about the brand.
I like to make sure I buy with free returns to Amazon and not a private party, that’s first.
I tried a couple that were cheaply made with defects. I settled on this brand as they aren’t outrageously expensive AND the products are sturdy and free of defects. That brand is ARTCXC.

That product for$21 is too expensive.

6 Likes

Ok thank you so much I’ll look around more and see for cheaper

5 Likes

Well, trying to save you some time by telling you about ARTCXC. :wink:

6 Likes

I’ll defiantly look I am only trying to use Amazon atm because my parents got the Amazon prime for this month and I kinda need my safety eyes soon but I’ll see how fast that Etsy shop can ship

5 Likes

You can get search “ARTCXC Safety Eyes” in Amazon.

6 Likes

Ty! I will

5 Likes

Its important to note when they say 20pieces thats normally 10 eyes and 10 backs. It can seem misleading when you read a number of pieces and get half the number of eyes you expected.
This might be obvious to most people but caught me out when I first bought safety eyes.

Its hard to tell the size of your plush to recommend an exact size but my bigger projects have been 20-25mm.
I’ve been using more felt eyes recently and prefering them atm.

7 Likes

I honestly think it’s cute with the small eyes. The look of it, to me, isn’t the issue. It’s the fact that if a small child gets hold of this, it’s not safe. The stitches and yarn are much bigger than what these size eyes are intended for, in my opinion.

7 Likes

For say larger safety eyes say 24- 40mm
Look on ali express. They do take a bit to get but worth it. Second best bet is to find a shop on Etsy.
Embroidered eyes are another way. You can use 3-4 weight yarn or if you can find all the colors you’d need the aunt Lydia’s yarn size 10 would work too.
I usually do a magic circle in black and sc 8 into the Mc pull tight. Then add my iris color do sc inc in each stitch (16) then add white sc 16. Leave long tail for sewing onto ami. I do weave in my ends from the black and iris color I used. Sometimes I even add a piece of white yarn to add a bit of accent to the iris I add it after the eye is finished so I can determine which is the Left or right eye.
Hook size and weight of yarn does make a difference with the size of eyes.

7 Likes

Ty I actually wouldn’t have though of that lol

7 Likes

Ty these are for me and my friends who are all teenager age but if I ever do make them for smaller children i will be cautious of this

7 Likes

Ty

7 Likes