Resources for beginners

Hi! I’m working on my library of resources for beginner amigurumi crocheters. If you’re a beginner (or remember how it was being a beginner), would you mind letting me know which topic would interest you most? Thank you! :smiling_face::pray:

1. How to read patterns
  2. How to sew together amigurumi parts
  3. Common beginner mistakes and how to fix them
10 Likes

Give a list of Stitch abrevations, i remember trying to find a list of all crochet stich names but being unable to

6 Likes

1 is definitely the most basic ability you need!!!

6 Likes

I think #3 would be the most beneficial to a beginner amigurumi crocheter.

#1 is basic crochet knowledge as ALMOST all sts from basic crocheting should already be known and the patterns read pretty much the same and if not I think it could be covered in #3. Same for #2 it could be included under #3 as well.

5 Likes

As a beginner they all interested in me, except for 2 I already knew how to sew I was more curious if there’s any way to make sewing easier/look better which I think falls under 3 but those were all topics I, as a beginner, searched to understand and find things out :smile:

5 Likes

what are yarns used for! (like recommendations! )

When i first started i didnt know why some yarns were better than others for certain projects. also what do the symbols and such on yarns mean and how important the symbols are!

Also explaining that sometimes its better to use a smaller hook than what is recommended !

All my amigurumi projects looked horrible and i wanted to give up due to the holes!

4 Likes

When I was new to amigurumi, I just bought an amigurumi book from Amazon and jumped right in. I didn’t search anything or ask questions.

As for hooks to use, I just test my tension with the type of yarn then frog until I find the hook that works for it. I don’t think I’ve ever used the recommended hook fo the yarn. I don’t look at the hook size recommended on the label. 9 times out of 10 I’m not going to use it because of the project and tension don’t work wth it.

I do recommend maybe making a list of typical amigurumi items for getting started. A variety of safty eyes/noses, poly-fil, smaller yarn/threads for embroidery, a bent nosed needle for sewing parts together, a sharp needle for splitting strands in stitches when doing embroidery, different sized eyes on needles for different thickness in yarns. Something to fluff yarn for hair/manes/tails. (I use a pet de-shedding brush with the bent fine metal bristles.) A normal size pair of scissors and a tiny pair or a pair of snips for the smaller yarn/thread fr closer snipping.

Lol yes I have between 6 and 10 needles for amigurumi. Blunt nosed, bent, sharp, all with different sized eyes, and lengths.

3 Likes