Ribblr of the Week: catching up with Melinda 🏅

Say hello to our Ribblr of the Week: Melinda! (aka @rhyflowerknits)

Melinda has been one of our first ROTW when Ribblr just started. We’re really excited to catch up with her!

Hey :wave: For those who don’t know you, please share a little about yourself.
I’m Melinda! I’m the knitwear designer and tech editor behind rhyFlower Knits.
I’m from Edmonton, AB Canada, where I live with my wonderful husband and energetic boxer. I’m highly introverted and suffer from anxiety and PTSD, so you will rarely find me in social settings as I thrive best behind the scenes. I’m an avid knitter, baker, PC gamer, love board games, and am slightly obsessed with house plants. Other crafty things I partake in are crocheting granny squares (I just learned and will make a blanket with them someday!) and cross stitch (usually riddled with foul language).

When did you start crafting and how?
I first started knitting 20 years ago - it was my grandmother’s solution to all my fidgety, anxious energy. She taught me a basic knit and purl and I set off to knit my first scarf. To this day, she can never believe that teaching me those basic skills as turned into all of this.

And how did you start designing?
I started designing my own patterns, just for personal use, and would have other knitters asking me to write down what I had done. After much prompting, I decided to release my very first pattern, Irish Whiskey, into the wild in 2016. After that, I couldn’t stop creating! Then, in 2018 I moved full time into my designing business and added in tech editing services as well. Now my whole world is wrapped up in glorious yarn and pretty stitches.

2 years on - would you say Knitting is still your favorite craft?
Yes, as I find it’s incredibly versatile! If I need something easy going or potato chippy, I can work on a basic project. If I need something highly engaging to calm my mind or hold my focus, I can work on some complicated lace stitches or brioche. There are few hobbies scale to precisely what you’re looking for or need, all while still producing something functional/purposeful.

What was the longest project you worked on?
I’ve had a knit blanket on my needles since May 2014 - it’s become a bit of an “eventual” project. My brain says I’ll get to it eventually, but realistically, it’ll likely always be a WIP.

A long-lasting WIP! We love it.
And how about your shortest one? (excluding frogging!)

Probably the worsted weight version of my Aideen beanie that I just finished - from cast on to blocking was less than 24 hours. (coming soon)

What are you currently working on?
I’m currently working on two new sock patterns in collaboration with one of my favorite indie dyers Turtlepurl Yarns. Those, plus my languishing blanket, are all I have on the needles. I tend to not have too many projects on the go at once or the overwhelm of “how will I get all this done” makes my anxiety snowball out of control.

When we last asked- the design you were most proud of was The Quest. Has this changed?
My Penelope Shawl is probably the make/design I’m most proud of. There’s a lot of complex brioche and lace in it, so it was a heck of a project to not only knit up, but to math out.

What is your usual process of designing?
Usually when an idea pops into my head, I chart it out right away (my ideas folder is ever growing!). I swatch to decide on the right yarn for my vision, then finish mathing out the pattern based on all that wonderful data. I knit the sample from the charts, tweak anything that I may change while knitting the sample, then write directions to match the charts. I’ve fined turned a lot of my business, so the writing process is quick and easy. I’m usually able to get a pattern to my TE and testers in no time at all!

And what is it that inspires you to create & design?
Colours and textures get my noodle going. I’ll often wonder how I’d translate what I’m seeing or feeling into a knitted fabric. Other times, yarn just tells me what it wants to be, and who am I to argue?

Time for some pop culture!
When we last spoke you recommended Shari Lapena. Any other books or authors you’d like to recommend??

I’m a huge Stephen King fan and recently read Fairy Tale by Stephen King and thoroughly enjoyed it!

It’s Monday! Care to share a funny story?
Our house was built in 1916, I’ve never been scared or anything of the house (attics and basements do creep me out no matter the home), but it has some quirks (you can tell in the basement where the old well used to be, old coal chute to the basement, etc). Because it’s so old, you get a little jumpy when you hear things go bump in the night. My office is on the second floor, with the attic directly above me. I started hearing weird noises above my head and start trying to rationalize it way - it’s a windy day, there are lots of old trees, maybe something is just brushing up against the roof. A few days later, I hear it again… at this point I’m done dismissing it and text my husband about the creepy sounds in the attic. When he gets home from work, he goes up into the attic to investigate what could be making sounds up there, comes back down and sees no signs of mice, or anything else that could be causing it, but will set up a live trap just to see. The next day I’m working away, and I hear pure panic from the attic. I refuse to check the attic, because it sounds like certain death, so I send my husband up to the attic to investigate… stating he caught something and comes back down from the attic with the trap. Turns out I was being haunted by a squirrel in our attic! Can’t say it’s the squirreliest co-worker I’ve ever had, but it certainly makes for a great laugh!

That’s funny and scary at the same time! :sweat_smile:
What’s your favorite Ribblr feature?

Honestly, it has to be the way Ribblr protects designer’s patterns. Most sites don’t, and as someone who has fallen victim to pattern theft/patterns being uploaded to piracy sites, it’s something I value a great deal.

That’s great!
Lastly - the stage is yours. Your shout to a fellow Ribblr! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’d love to give a shoutout to @paigereeves!
She’s a wonderfully talented knitter, a talented baker, and just a fantastic human being. :heart:

Thank you so much for sharing! :purple_heart:

Check out the rhyFlower Knits shop​:point_down:

Want more?
Check out our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

16 Likes

Congratulations!

5 Likes

Congrats on ROTW!

6 Likes

Nice to catch up! I enjoyed the squirrel story lol :chipmunk:

6 Likes

Congratulations on rotw!

4 Likes

Happy Great Job GIF by sendwishonline.com

3 Likes

Congratulations