Ribblr of the week: meet Abbey (@Abbeymade) 🏅

Hi Ribblrs,

Say G’day to Abbey of Abbeymade, our Ribblr of the week!
Scroll down to read more about @Abbeymade. Feel free to comment below with any questions you may have for Abbey and show your love!

Hi Abbey! Tell us a little about yourself.

I live near the bush in southern Sydney Australia with my 5 year old daughter, husband and a very active border collie, Minty. Creating things is in my DNA, I feel naked without a project or two on the go.

What is your favorite type of craft and why?
Tunisian crochet will always be my first love when it comes to fibre crafts. It was the first thing I learned how to do and it just ‘clicks’ in my brain. I have a pretty serious day job so the ability to unwind while creating something useful is really appealing to me.

When did you start crafting and how?
I grew up always having access to craft supplies - paper, coloured pencils and cardboard boxes became dolls houses complete with paper furniture from an early age. My first serious craft was jewellery making - I started with beads and then progressed to chainmaille jewellery. I used to make my own sterling silver rings and make really delicate chain based jewellery from it. Who knows, perhaps I’ll pick up my pliers again one day! (Anyone want to buy some jewellery, I have HEAPS haha).

What was the longest project you worked on?
Single project? This would probably be a granny square dress that was published in Indie Road magazine a few years ago. And now it doesn’t fit so I’ll have to frog the seams and turn it into a top!
I guess you could say 2020 has been one long tunisian entrelac project. I have worked all year on entrelac designs in order to push this technique as far as I think it’ll go. I still have plans for a few more entrelac wearables, so watch this space.

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
Making chain bracelets for all my neighbours kids - about 60 seconds a pop!! They get excited watching me chain really fast so it’s a fun challenge!

Which of your designs you are most proud of? Share a picture!
Definitely Diamonds Not Pearls. This is one of my entrelac designs from 2020 in the Tessellate Me series. It evolved through experimentation. What I’m most proud of is its size inclusivity (15 sizes from kids to adults) and the way it can be adapted for different body shapes and design preferences.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
I really love fantasy fiction. I’ve been revisiting one of my favourite authors this year - Raymond Feist and the spin off trilogies featuring Pug and his magical friends.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
The interactive sizing. This really appeals to me. It took me a while to work out how to apply it to my designs but the initial mind spinning was worth it in the end. It has the potential to introduce beginner crafters to features that we had to learn the hard way.

I’m also a big fan of the charts - the Ribblr chart software is the only one I can find that will suit some Tunisian Crochet symbols and techniques.

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
@KatePolizzi ! A fellow Australian and the person who introduced me to Ribblr this year.

Which of Abbey’s designs is your favorite? Comment below!

Did you know?
You can add @Abbeymade to your friends list and add her shop to your favorites.

Each week we feature a member of our community as Ribblr of the week, so we can all get to know each other a little better :purple_heart:

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus win our special Ribblr of the week gold badge🏅)

15 Likes

I LOVE @Abbeymade’s designs. Thanks so much for sharing and keep up the amazing work Abbey! :hugs:

4 Likes

This is awesome!! Definitely a fan!

6 Likes

Me too!! :purple_heart:

4 Likes

It’s so nice to learn more about Abbeymade !
I love her Diamonds Not Pearls sweater, what a gorgeous design. Something to be really proud of. :smiley: :+1:

5 Likes

Diamonds Not Pearls is my favorite!

4 Likes

thank you, I am really proud of this one! I’m working on an entrelac cardigan at the moment. I’m even more pleased with that one!!

4 Likes

Looking forward to seeing it! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

That’s exciting! can’t wait to see it

3 Likes