Ribblr of the Week: Meet Alexandra 🏅

You may be familiar with our Ribblr of the Week - it’s our Leader Alexandra (@Alyphira) who’s also the designer behind Alyphira Crochet!

baf5a817b5f8e8fe7b12775b725bc47f0e009f1f_2_400x500

Hi Alexandra! Tell us a little about yourself.
Hi! My name is Alexandra (or you can call me Alex or Aly) and I’m a 26 yo Ohioan. I have 3 lovable doggos, and 19 chickens who I lovingly call my pets.

When did you start crafting and how?
I began my crocheting journey at the end of 2021 and haven’t really stopped since! I started it when I began my disability journey. At the time, I was struggling with my agoraphobia and PTSD whilst battling with (what was unbeknowst to me at the time) endometriosis. Crocheting was filling up my time between therapies and surgeries!

And how did you start designing?
I started designing when people began asking me for oddly specific requests. First, someone asked me about making a REALLY chonky piggy. Its how Poppy The Pig was born! However, more recently, my sister wanted a custom gift for her husband (my BIL) and wanted me to make a plushie inspired by the Legend of Zelda series. Which led to my Tree Spirit pattern!

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
My favorite craft is definitely crochet. I absolutely adore the methodical counting and designing. It helps bring calm and serenity to what feels like an otherwise crazy life! I have also begun restoring a 1940s Singer sewing machine from my grandmother, which should be done soon. I hope to start machine seeing after that!

That’s so awesome!
To date, what was the longest project you worked on?

Longest project I ever worked on was my very first crochet project. It was a HDC blanket done in Bernat yarn while I was in hospital. It took ages as I was just learning how to properly crochet, and making straight rows was so much harder than it looked!

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
Shortest projects are definitely the leggy frogs by KnotJadedCo. I make them quite frequently as party favors or for some market preps!

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now? :wink:
I am making a number of projects. Im going to pretend I don’t currently have 15 wips because they are all in the spare room. Out of sight, out of mind am I right?

Totally! :sweat_smile:
Tough question alert! Which of your designs are you most proud of?

I’m definitely most proud of my Tree Spirit Pattern. I loved how simple, yet unique, the outcome is. It’s heavy on color changes, but simple in sewing and shaping so it’s perfect for any beginners looking to work on their color changing skills!

What is your usual process of designing?
My designing process is usually spurred along by uniqueness. Although I love tradtional crochet amigurumi like cows and axolotls, I want to fill the void where some more unique animals and creatures may be missing. I’m actually working in my design journal on some crazy tropical animals that I’m hoping to have perfect by the end of July for testing!

Time for pop culture! Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend? :dark_sunglasses:
I’m all about music lately. Noah Kahan has been dominiting my Spotify. If you love moving and emotional music I’d highly suggest looking into them!

It’s Monday! Care to share a funny story that happened to you recently?
I got new baby chicks recently. I’ve been working my butt off with socalizing them so we have some friendly egg laying hens. I think i may have overdone it because I stood up to move away and all these babies decided to take my seat.
898e58afea143e47c0d48b431c47ec344fbe26bc_2_375x500

That’s so cute :baby_chick:
We’d love to know, what is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
My favorite feature on Ribblr is definitely the new testing features. I avidly test on Ribblr, and as a pattern creator myself, the protections in place as well as the ability to communicate with a group of testers is integral in releasing the best possible patterns!

Lastly - the stage is yours. Your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I would love to shoutout @xhunnii they helped begin my testing journey on here, and I love their creative spirit and absolutely adorable creations.

Thank you for sharing Alex :purple_heart: and for being such an awesome community Leader!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out Alyphira Crochet shop now​:point_down:

38 Likes

A huge congrats!!

Happy Birthday Party GIF by Lazy Corgi

8 Likes

Congrats :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

8 Likes

Omg!! I got so exited when I saw this!
Good work!!!

8 Likes

Congratulations Congrats GIF by Goldfish

6 Likes

Thank you everyone!

Stop Motion Love GIF by Mochimochiland

11 Likes

Omg a big congratulations, you 100% deserve this

6 Likes

Congratulations @Alyphira on rotw :grin:
My husband got chicks this year too, but they apparently didn’t get enough socializing as they still run from everyone :woman_shrugging:t3:
I’m so glad crochet had helped fill the void between appointments, it sure has a calming effect doesn’t it?

6 Likes

Party Love GIF by sendwishonline.com

6 Likes

It really is! And its made me loads of friends. Its crazy how crafting brings people together and provdes such theraputic relief!

6 Likes

Congrats!! :partying_face: :tada:
Super happy that you’re ROTW this week!

Share Discover GIF

6 Likes

Congrats!

5 Likes

Congrats on the ROTW, so well deserved :partying_face::tada::tada:

6 Likes

Congrats on Ribblr of the Week @Alyphira I love the photo of the baby chicks stealing your seat :joy:

6 Likes

They are so wild :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I love them to death though!

6 Likes

Aww :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

so awesome to learn more about you! @Alyphira

7 Likes

Awesome and congrats!
I love your sweater :flushed:

5 Likes

Thank you!! Its actually a sweater dress! It was such a blast to make. :smiley:

5 Likes

So great to learn more about you Alexandra! You’re such a wonderful creator and person, and I’m so looking forward to seeing your tropical animal designs!

4 Likes

Thank you so much!!! Seriously all the nice comments here warm my heart so thank you ahain to everyone! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes