Ribblr of the Week - Meet Alison 🏅

Say hello to Alison (@primrosefiberstudio) - our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind [Primrosefiberstudio]

headshot

Tell us a little about yourself
Hi! My name is Alison :slight_smile: I recently graduated with a degree in Sustainable Environmental Design and work full time in San Francisco as a Real Estate Project Manager. I’m 22 with a love of design and itch for anything creative!

When did you start crafting and how?
I’ve been crafting ever since I was a kid :slight_smile: Other kids spent their weekends on the sports field, I spent mine roaming around my local craft stores! I attempted amigurumi back in grade school with one of those craft kits… it did not go well… So ten years later, with the guidance of one of my closest friends, I finally picked it back up at the age of 21!

And how did you start designing?
I started designing after my mind slowly started to comprehend how everything in amigurumi was just worked up in silly little circles! I had so many ideas I wanted to get out there, at some point I realized that if there weren’t any existing patterns that fit my visions, I just needed to make them myself!
cover-h4m3flh25

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
I started as a scrapbooker, then a seamstress, and now am an avid crocheter and knitting novice. Crochet holds the #1 spot in my heart at the moment, it’s just the most versatile and (subjectively) most impressive!

What has been the most memorable project you worked on?
My most memorable amigurumi project would have to be little Spyro, a dragon inspired by a childhood favorite! He was actually made as a gift for someone incredibly special to me, and went on to become the first trial of my best-selling dragon pattern! It really shows that if you put your whole heart into something, it’ll pay off <3

memorable project

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
Goodness. I have about SIX custom-ordered amigurumi projects in the queue currently, everything from custom pups to silly little gooses! I’m currently writing amigurumi patterns for about ten different dog breeds, working on a holiday challenge, and have about four different cardigans on my knitting needles right now!

wip

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
I’m most proud of my custom sleepy pups (pattern in the works!) because each one is truly so unique and special. As a dog mom, we can’t stress enough how much our pups mean to us, and having that ability to make a plush as unique as your dog is, is the BEST thing.

proudest

What is your usual process of designing?
Usually my friends or family would ask me for some obscure animal or creature, and I’d agree immediately, but then quickly realize there is no pattern out there that really fits well enough. If its overall blob-y shape is already in my mind, there’s no way I can settle for anything less, and to the drawing board I go…

designing

What inspires you to create/design?
I’ve been a creative person my entire life; crafting, working with my hands, has always come naturally to me. I was definitely raised with that “I can do that.” mentality and as I grew older, my preferences got more and more particular, so much so that I realized if I wanted something to fit me perfectly, I would just have to design it myself!

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
Music is my go-to; I would highly highly recommend the entire discography of JP Saxe if you’re feeling introspective, or Aidan Bisset if you’re feeling dance-y.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
My favorite feature would have to be the row counting. I know we all suffer from the perils of (10 R’s of 36sc) and at some point, you’re going to lose track. I used to use random sticky notes or tally marks, but when you have a thousand WIPs on hand, those random numbers and marks get confusing real quick.

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
Some of my favorites on Ribblr are:

kelsie

Thanks so much for being here this week Alison, it’s a pleasure reading about you!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out [Primrosefiberstudio]

17 Likes

Congrats on ROTW @primrosefiberstudio :partying_face::tada:

2 Likes

congrats @primrosefiberstudio!! i luv all ur patterns!!

1 Like

Awwuh! Congratulations @primrosefiberstudio ! Your designs are so adorable!