Ribblr of the Week: Meet Ally! 🏅

Say hello to Ally @eggsnfloof the designer behind eggsnfloof, and our ROTW!

Hi Ally! Tell us a little about yourself.
Hi!! My name is Ally. I’m 15 and based in the UK, though I lived in Hong Kong until I was 13. I speak English, Cantonese and (subpar) Mandarin. I’ll be taking my GCSE exams next year so I’m hoping to accomplish some of my crochet goals before I have to seriously study for them!

When did you start crafting and how?
I’ve honestly gone through so many different artsy phases like watercolor, bullet journaling, polymer clay, calligraphy etc… crochet happened to be one I particularly enjoyed and am good at! I started crocheting around summer 2021 cause I was bored during the holidays.

And how did you start designing?
In the beginning, I mostly scoured youtube for free crochet tutorials, and asked my grandma through video calls for advice. After that I just made a lot of amigurumi and realized I could come up with my own designs- which it did!

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Currently, crochet is my main and favourite craft type, but I’m always looking for new hobbies (unfortunately for my wallet) and looking to try new things out! Who knows, maybe I’ll finally get semi-decent at knitting~ oh and I’m also very interested in needle felting!

What was the longest project you worked on?
A week after I first started crocheting, I made the questionable decision of deciding to crochet a houndstooth vest (that I haven’t worn till today lol)- although my hands and back suffered tremendously, I learnt very valuable techniques from it! It also helped me figure out my preferred way of holding the yarn and hook.

Amazing! And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
A smol bee for my friend! I had already made her this pretty mushroom bag, but 30 minutes before I left for the party I was like ‘it’d be so cute if I put a lil bee inside’. I freehanded one in 15 mins!

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIPs do you have right now? :rofl:
Two amigurumi WIPs at the moment cause I’m procrastinating cutting the felt… normally I only have 3 WIPs maximum. I’m currently working on a skirt which I’ve also paused cause I don’t have a measuring tape ;-;

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
My second design (first paid pattern)- the pancake stack! I feel so proud about this cause when I was making it I literally saw no hope for its future but here it is, in all its adorableness and squishiness.

What is your usual process of designing?
I get an idea in my head (or a vision, as I like to call it), and then I pretty much just jump straight into crocheting it. After I’ve finished it I write the pattern down while I still remember it. I also write some of my ideas down on the notes app but honestly I forget that it exists 90% of the time.

What inspires you to create and design?
Art from different mediums- I really like polymer clay and cute illustrations especially the ones who tend to combine food themes with animals. Seeing other crocheters create amazing designs inspires me a lot as well. Also the doodles my friend makes in class, and anime!

Now for some pop culture! Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
Bungou stray dogs! It’s an action, mystery and supernatural anime (and manga which I haven’t read yet). I love the way it presents serious topics while also having a humorous side! All the characters are inspired by real Japanese writers of classical literature, and are super well written! And the soundtrack is just gorgeous (i love j-pop so much). Honestly there are so many anime and manga I’d recommend (ahem ahem you can prolly tell I’m a huge nerd) but Bungou Stray Dogs season 4 is coming out soon so go watch it!!!

Care to share a funny or interesting story that happened to your recently?
This is not that funny but anyways- I went to this really nice cat cafe with my friend recently, and there was this adorable white cat who kept death-staring me. It reminded me of my old teacher back in primary who probably hated me (justly, because I was reading English books under the table during her englisH class). Except the cat was a lot cuter and less scary. I love cats.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
The format of Ribblr ePatterns! It’s a nice alternative to pdf patterns which you can’t mark on unless you open on another application or you print it out. I wish I’d learnt about Ribblr sooner cause the direct links to video tutorials would’ve helped beginner me a lot! And of course, I can’t not mention the way Ribblr supports creators, with lower fees, the $elFee system and protection from plagiarism!

That’s awesome!
And now the stage is yours. Please pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
windrises.crochet (@windrisescrochet) deserves lots of love! Their patterns are always so creative and aesthetic- go check them out!!

Thank you so much for sharing :purple_heart:

Find all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

And check out eggsnfloof shop now​:point_down:

22 Likes

7 Likes

Congrats! Love your cat story :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::rofl:

7 Likes

Congrats Ally! So nice learning more about you :smiling_face:

9 Likes

Your patterns are so cute and aesthetic and I really like your souffle cat pattern it’s so creative and quirky. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Congratulations :balloon:

4 Likes